Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered I need to replace one of my valve cover gaskets. The current ones are cork, that lasted barely a year. Has anybody had any bad experiences withe rubber felpro ones? I have a 289, with the chrome Hipo repop valve covers. TIA

·
Registered
107 Posts
i recently replaced my valve covers and figured why not try some new rubber gaskets? well idk if the valve covers are warped or the gaskets are lined up correctly or what but i have a decent drip coming out of drivers side and goes right onto the header and smokes. makes the car look like crap when smokes pourin out lol. i tried to fix it a few times and it never does any bit of difference. idk what all this means lol but i thought id share

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have never had good luck keeping the rubber ones sealed for any length of time. Seem to compress to much at the bolts even with proper torquing. I much prefer the cork.

·
Registered
838 Posts
They make a cork gasket with a little steel compression ring around the outside diameter of where the bolt goes through-helps prevent smashing the cork to much. I have those and I like em!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The key is to torque the VC bolts to spec and in the proper sequence, center out. I use cork with just a smear of indianad head cement and have not had a problem.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I prefer neoprene gaskets so I can remove the valve covers to touch up the valves periodically. They are reuseable my last set from Napa was around $12.00. The have been on the car for over five years. You might need to dimple the valve cover holes back so that the mating surface is as flat as possible. The neoprene is forgiving and does not harden so you won't need to scrape them when removing the valve covers.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I have used cork on Red with zero leaks and have been able to pull the covers off and put them back on with no leaks using same gaskets.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I have the Fel-Pro Permadry Plus valve covers on my mach. I don't use any kind of sealant, just clean the valve cover and head surface and torque the valve cover down over the gasket. I've had ZERO leaks and i can remove my valve covers as many times as i want and can reuse this same gasket over and over. In fact, i've probably had the valve cover off 20 times and these gaskets still look like new and have never leaked. I do have polished aluminum valve covers with a thick flange, so they promote a better seal with even torque. I've talked with others who have good luck with them on stock valve covers. I think they are about $26 at Autozone. I was tired of using cork and sealant, only to have to replace them every time I needed the valve cover off. These Permadry units are some special kind of blue rubber with a steel core, so they hold their shape quite well after being removed over and over. You also don't have to fight with them to keep them under the valve cover when installing, like the cork ones do me. Every time i tried to line up a hole with cork gaskets, another side would squeeze into the head or out of the head.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use the EARL'S silicone/steel gaskets. Never a problem. I also use studs in the heads to set the gaskets on and that works wonders to keep the gaskets in place. Like "buening", I have had my polished aluminum valve covers off many times and the gaskets look new.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,

I picked up a set of Felpro cork ones and installed them this morning. Took the car for a nice drive and didn't have any leaks GTG.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I use the neoprene ones. Have to R&R the valve covers on a regular basis to set the valves. I glue them to the valve cover and leave them dry underneath. I think that the trick to getting them to seal is to get them and the sealing surface very clean before installing.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
+1 on getting it all clean. I don't glue mine. The less scraping the better. Just make sure the cover mating surfaces are flat and the cap screw holes are flat. Torque 'em correctly, check 'em every few months and you'll be good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts