Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Mustang that had a 289 that was replaced with a 302. I want to change the valve covers and need to know how difficult it would be. It seems like 6 bolts and then I am all set. Should I spray each one with WD-40 before doing to make sure the bolts don't break. Any tips on installing the gaskets? Or anything else I should know before tackling this job? As you can tell I am a novice at doing this stuff but want to learn!
Thanks - Erich

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I recently replaced the gaskets on our 65 FB with a 351W. It was pretty much cut and dry despite the fact that the car sat for 10 years, the gaskets didn't fit perfectly, and the bolts weren't all the same. I used an socket to remove the bolts, cleaned the heads, carefully scraped the old gasket off the block (trying not to get too much gunk in the engine), put some gasket sealer on the gaskets, replaced covers and was ready to go. As for the WD-40, it may come in handy, but I now prefer Liquid Wrench. I've used it in the past week and it out performs WD-40 on rusted bolts/nuts. But unless the car has been rusting for many years, you shouldn't need either one.

TK

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
One thing that many like to do is replace the bolts with studs. This allows one to place the gasket on the head, and not have to worry about it moving around while you place the cover on.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It is easy. Some tricks I learned a long time ago. Use a good cork gasket, attach the gasket to the valve cover by using a dab of black RTV in the corners, let it set unbtil it will not move, place the cover on the head, start the screws and tightem but not over torque them, just make them tight enough to hold it on. By not using a gasket sealer between the head and gasket, it will be much easier to pull the valve coverslater. Some people use rubber gaskets but I have had problems in the past and have had none with cork. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
after you clean all the gasket off and clean up the surface on the head and cover then put the bolts in cover and use gasket sealer to glue the gasket to the cover. after its glued down and the bolt holes are lined up, its easy to bolt them back on without any movement problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts