Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trying to get PCV and engine vacuum squared away.

Wondering if there is correct way to get the "blue grommet" off? Do I twist and bend it out or should the rubber grommet just slide right on. Attempted removal but got the feeling I would have to tear it out and eased off. Also wondering if I must take off the valve cover and install that way. So, any tips or directions pointed would be greatly appreciated.

***Black grommet pictured appears to be identical in size.
***1966 Mustang 289

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
They are rubber.
It is likely just hardened with age and heat. Do what it takes to get it off. You really shouldn't have to take the valve cover off. That would mean you are doing something wrong :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It is very possible that when the valve cover was painted with the old grommet still in place, some paint may have seeped under the outer flange and is probably what is preventing the grommet from coming out. you should be able to rotate it if it is not stuck. The only other thing would be the aged, hardened grommet that wont flex enough to slip out of the hole. If you do get it to pull, make sure that it came out in tact. If you find missing pieces, you will have to pull the cover to retrieve them.

Reactions: 6606stang

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I'd use a retractable mat knife, cut one side and pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Might be safer to leave it as is, pull the cover and THEN chip away at the old grommet. That way you are assured that no bits or chunks fall into the head where it might close up an oil passage or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts