Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have never seen this set up before. Wanted to know if anyone else had. We purchased the car last year and just pulled the valve covers off for the first time today.
It’s a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351C

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That's a nasty looking fuel filter !
Never seen those covers before .

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
PS :

please please please replace those rubber fuel lines with a steel line from the fuel pump to the carb. And use a fuel filter that's integrated with either the fuel pump or the carburetor.

Engine fires are especially nasty. So nasty that even a 5 lb. fire extinguisher is seldom enough to handle the job. Solid steel fuel lines all the way to the carb from the fuel pump are good insurance that you will never have to see your car go up in smoke.

just sayin'

Z

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I had a set of those, came with some c3 heads.
But I was never able to get them to seal completely at the studs
Even use RTV. And if you over torque them you run the risk of them cracking.
yours look to have seal completely though, hmmm.
I ended up going with a standard griddle setup.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There were an early version of those covers used on high rev race engines, probably developed as a Boss 302" race part. These are a later "Motorsport" version. "boss girdle valve covers" may give results on google.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
My Triumph TR3 has a similar problem sealing. I found that if you add an upside down nyloc nut under the cover you can tighten the upper nut without compromising the valve cover and get a good seal. It takes several attempts to get the right height to get the cover to seal without over torquing the valve cover. Those covers are very cool, hope you can get it to seal, its a great conversation piece when you open the hood - they look badass.

Nesting those throttle return springs will clean things up along with your new fuel hoses ;o)

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Dobrostang,

Never thought about that, great idea!!!
i ended up taking them off and going with a standard griddle setup and a set of taller M/T valve covers. But still have the other set boxed up in the attic. I will give them another go with some nylo nuts underneath on the next 351c build. Very cool work around.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Awhtx,

Well put.
That pic was taken shortly after the car was completed and just after my first test ride.
Imagine my surprise, putting my foot in it only to discover the hood pin keepers were still on the bench.........
Hood popped up, hit the windshield, developing a 20" crack across the entire scoop and separating the hood, top from bottom, at the hinges.
Not one of my finer moments to be sure!!
I painted it in a silver metallic, impossible to really match 100%.
The ole anticipation woody was retired in seconds flat.
Luckily the metal hood was painted at the same time the car was in the booth.
I have employed a pre virgin run check list ever since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
excellent to survive seeing your hood swinging over your head! probably looked like a scene from fast and pretty furious (at self)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Those Motorsport valve covers are worth some money. They occasionally pop up on ebay and I've seen them go for $500-$700 a pair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts