Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt 200ci motor in my 65 coupe, the PO rebuilt it, and it hasn't been run yet. The rocker arms seem to be really loose, How do I adjust them before I start the motor, or will the lifters take up the slack when the oil pressure builds. This motor was rebuilt more than a year ago, is there anything else I should do before I start it besides prime the oil pump. I have never broken in a 6cyl. before, is it the same as a V8? Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,302 Posts
I'm sure not a 6 cyl guru, but I'll take a shot. When I bought my 67 200 six, it had sat up so long that the lifters had collapsed completely. So far that a couple of pushrods had actually fallen out of the rockers. I repositioned the pushrods (and did a bunch of other stuff) and started the car. It "clacked" horribly for a bit until the lifters pumped out. It's been fine for 4 years since. I never looked further into it as I never use the 6 for anything other than a convenient way to get the car in and out of the garage until the 351W is ready to go in it. This help any?

G

·
0 Posts
You are correct. the valves will pump up and take up the slack. Prime the engine first as you would a v8. you should be fine.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts