Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting on the new chrome valve covers bestowed on me for Father's day and noticed the valve springs were red. I also noticed the 302 in the valley on the heads. I was just wondering if the red springs are heavier springs or what? Also, please don't use any type of silicone sealant on valve covers. The old one's had been put on with cork gaskets + silicone and that stuff was a big mess! 2 of the pushrods had a healthy glob wrapped around them, came off pretty easy so could stop something up. These heads are on my 66/289 but the #'s I posted when I was doing the chrome oil pan/timing set/water pump showed the block to be a 67/289 IIRC...thanks...gary... ::

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Actually, the factory color coded the springs just like all of the suspension parts. All of my 302s have red striped springs. If you look in the factory shop manual, they call out sifferent paint stripe colors for the valve springs depending on the aengine and application.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Back in the early 70s, I purchased some high performance valve springs for a 302 from the Ford Muscle Parts program. These carried part no: C9OZ-6513-C which was the number for the spring and damper assembly. The springs were completely red in color (not just striped). The retail price was $1.75 each!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts