Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth trying to learn how to replace these on my 65 289 engine or should I pay a shop to do it. I have the haynes manual but no tools? You can do this job with the engin in the car right?
And it should help my oil consumption problem right? .
Maybe a quart every 300miles is what i seem to loose.
Ps: I already have the seals anyway so, I may just not use them. they came with the felpro kit. Thanks
Steve
ps: its mostly oil burning @ startup. i believe . and how cheaply could one replace the springs with stock replacements? and should this be done at the same time. or is it much more work.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You have to pull the retainers to replace the seals so the springs could easily be replaced at the same time....just pop them out...

You'll need a spark plug adapter to apply compressed air to hold the valves up and a stud mounted spring compressor.

OEM valve seals just slip over the stem IIRC...it's been years since I used that type...likely your guides aren't machined for performance seals.

Personally, I'd do a leakdown to see where the oil is going...usually smoke on start-up and deceleration is guides/seals and smoking under power/aceleration is rings...

You may find, when you pop a retainer off, that the valve is loose in the guide (if you're careful, you can remove the air and hang onto the valve and check it (having the cylinder at TDC will keep you from making an expensive mistake). If the valves are loose, new seals won't help much....when you get to that point, check one (Intake) and get back to us...

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Pat is correct. I have personally replace the seals on several vehicles, while the heads are on the car. Replacing them on the vehicle is a great way to go.
The higher end compression testers (you might have to pay another 5 or 10$$ for them) have the quick disconnect interface already on them, so the adapter is relatively easy. As far as the spring compressor goes, the 'on the car' model, which Pat describes, is available at local NAPA or possibly even Krage, Autozone or Pep Boys.

If I were you, I would go for it! The satisfaction of doig this to reduce the oil consumption rate is well worth it!

Good luck and keep us 'posted'...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts