Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I'm gonna catch heck for this question!
I'm getting ready to redo my 289 heads. I haven't gotten my valve seat inserts yet..... and I'm thinking about upgrades. I understand that some people put CHEVY valves into small block Ford heads. My question is: What is the advantage of that? Are they bigger or something? I've also been told that there are CHEVY valves on the aftermarket that have already been "cut down" to fit in a 289 head. Didn't mean to offend anyone by using the "C" word, but I want to know my options are. This car will not be used for racing or anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The Chevy valves are larger, typically 1.94 (I think) or 2.02 for the intakes vs. 1.78 for stock valves. If you decide to go this route, you might consider Powerheads. They have heads ported and ready to go with larger valves for $795. You will likely pay a machine shop more than that since Powerheads does them in volume and has a CNC machine for porting.

G

·
0 Posts
The reason people use a Chevy valve is all you'll need to do is open the stem up to 3/8" from the 11/32 that's worn needing replaced or knurled. If you're going to replace them anyway this saves some dough. I used the 11/32 stem Chevy "race" valves in my BB heads, saved a little chump change /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Just an FYI, for street use, I would not recommend using intake valves 2" or larger. The loss of low/mid range power, tunability, drivability is significant compared to the power advantage gained in the top end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts