Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single wide trailer that I rent for $350 a month. Personally i would have kept it empty by my wife thought it would be better with a person living in it. She rented it to a nice young lady and her 7 and 4 year old children. Everything went good for a year. In fact she had her friends intall a new floor & carpet where rent went to material. She has always been a bit late on rent but not over a month. Last week she told us how she had her boyfriend arrested for child abuse.

Two days ago my cousin called me and said all the windows of my 4 old beater/parts cars had there windows blown out. I go out to the trailer today and see that all the windows were shot out with a BB-gun. I go to the door and her sister is there. She said it was the dead beat boyfriend that did it, in fact she watched him do it. By the number of bottles also shot i would say they were drinking and plinking. When i confronted the renter she acted suprised but called her sister and confirmed the story. An example of the cars, 1979 buick regal, rusted, burns oil, but with just a brake line could be made operational.

I made the decision that i just wanted the trouble gone so i gave her an eviction notice of 60 days (georgia law). I told her that i expected all the rent to be in full when she leaves and another minor situation resolved. But if i have to take her to court that i would include the damage to all the cars in addition to anything back rent. (her guests are her problem).

I'm wondering if there is any better way to handle it. I just want the pain to go away but there is an unwed mother and 2 children involved. An unwed mother who attracts dead beat boyfriends and has a looser sister. The only other thing i can think of is have the boyfriend arrested on criminal damage but that seems like a whole new can of worms.

Secondary question is what is the value of every window in 4 junk cars? Is there a fair price? Is it the value of the car or the value of the glass. Is it the value of new glass, used glass?

Frustrated,

thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
i would give the lady a scond chance... have her first file a restraining order against the bf and tell her to choose wisley before dating someone second of all i would file a complaint against the bf and have him arrested for criminal damage and and sue him, u would have enough evudence that eh did it since the sister saw it happen, and get rid of the sister and watch the rent id give the lady one more chance and if she keeps it up in 2-3 months boot her to the curb well good luck and hope it goes right whatever you chose to do

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Always require 2 credit cards for reference before renting anything. That sort of eliminates the real deadbeats. Have it set up where you charge each month's rent to one of the credit cards. If they don't have valid cards. they probably have a problem - you don't want to rent ot them. Been there and done that - won't never do it again. Let it set empty or find a nice 70 year old lady that knows how to use a shot gun and give it to her really cheap. You will be many $$$ ahead.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Personally, I'd consider it a lesson at LU (landlord university)....I'm suspecting there are many things about this rental which could be troublesome for both you folks and the renters, if the government starts sticking its nose in if you complain...IME, folks who attract losers and don't pay the rent on time have their own unique take on life and their story may differ markedly from yours...

I would surmise her security deposit will cover some of the damage/loss (you did get one of those, didn't you? *G*)....the rest will be some more sweat equity from you...

My advice....don't rent anything out unless you absolutely have to. My only landlord experiences have been with properties I've fixed up and lease-optioned, so the renters had a large vested interest financially in doing the right thing...

If we had a large 5'er or mobile home out here on our place, I'd save it for when mom or guests stop by...as long as they're maintained, they weather being empty just fine...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I say go with the gut feeling. $350 isn't a lot to pay in rent and other renters can be found. Frankly, I like to give good people a break and it sounds like you've been taken advantage of. If they can't stay current with the rent but can buy booze...need I go on there.

Sometimes the gut feeling is right. What does your wife think? Perhaps a joint "gut check" is in order.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
SWMBO and I own aprox $1.5M worth of rentals, and believe me, there are times Id rather "cash out" than deal with any more renters. The one thing we do, outside of running an extensive credit check, is place a hefty deposit on every single unit. This "usually" covers the damages, if there are any. A good rule of thumb is to check with the prior landlord, and even drive by the place they are renting to see how clean/dirty it is during the application process. Make sure you put everything in the lease that concers your rental (unregistered cars, yard upkeep, how many people will be living there, ect.). The rules of landloardship, as I see it, are to always cover-your-ass.

Good luck with everything, I can relate.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
A lesson I learned from an uncle who was a landlord is to PAY THEM to leave!

First even the best of tenants may fall on hard times or encounter problems. But thier problems are not your problems.

Second lawyers cost mony. Why give it to a lawyer and court? Besides there is a real good chance that you will never collect.

Third with very little effort they can stretch thier free stay out for a very long time. You had to give them 60 days! They could take more! So you spend money on lawyers, don't collect rent for months and in the meantime they are trashing your property.

Tell them if they move by the end of the month you will PAY THEM 350 dollars. If they are really that desperate thay will take it.

You will have the place back a lot sooner, can fix it and rent it a lot quicker. And no lawyers. ( No offence to any lawyers out there. )

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
1. Two words on the damage-Homeowners Insurance. It might be covered. Did any of these cars have their own policies? If you are going to rent again, you might consider an umbrella policy so that if one of these yahoos accidentally shot themselves while aiming at your car, they can't blame you for it.

2. Get rid of the renters but remember they've been taking target practice so I'd be pretty nice about it.

3. Maybe call the local gestapo and see what they say.

4. I'd park that pretty red 67 convertible on the other side of the house for a while.

J. Boggs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts