Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions which tie in with the pics attached. Keep in mind that this was once a 6 cyl vehicle. This may help answer my questions:

http://community.webshots.com/album/173988384ASfROV

1st pic - No question, just showing you what a greasy environment I discovered.

2nd pic -Unused grommet hole and clip - Any idea what these two item were intended for?

3rd pic-Hanging bolts -Lousy pic (sorry) If you follow the frame to the right of the axle/frame rubber bumper, there are two bolts hanging down. Previous muffler set up? On both sides of the car.

4th pic-Unused brackets-This is the way I got the car. I believe the upper bracket is designed for the brake cable to go above the frame through a channel under to body floor. If so, what on earth is the lower bracket used for? And its only on the passenger side as well....Also does that grommet on the cable housing suppose to fasten to the upper bracket?

This might help answer my questions. I have a solid brake cable going from one wheel up towards the tranny and then back to the other wheel. I heard that a 65 6cyl had two separate cables? If so, what year do I have and what do you suggest I do? I’m planning to
Replace the cable.

5th pic-Bonnie&Cydes car- The [email protected]#$ PO sure did a lot of drilling and attaching who knows what to the bottom side (same holes on both sides). What is the easiest was to cover these holes up? Since this car went from 6 cyl to 8, could the holes be previous exhaust support holes?

Oh such fun....

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
picture 2 is the hole for the axel vent tube, it is held in place buy the clip-thing ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Ilove this game lets see if I can win:

Pic 2:
E-brake cable comes through hole?
rear vent tube attaches to clip?

Pic 3:
Rear sway bar mount

Pic 4:
Sure looks like that brake cable is suppose to go through their ;)

Pic 5:
Might be for the double exhaust hanger bracket...or it might just be a PO fix for a leaky window gasket..."i'll just make a hole for the water to drain out here...and here...and here ;)

Ohh boy I hope I'm right :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nah, Dodgestang....#2 indicates the car used to be red. #4 indicates the car used to be red. #3 shows a new elecrical extension cord. And, #1 shows.......OMG....MONROE shocks. LMAO ::

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Pic #2 - axle vent clip and entry into the frame

Pic #3 - my guess is that's a hook-up for a rear sway bar. Not sure though (I don't have those bolts nor a rear sway bar).

Pic #4 - it's been so long since they've been attached that I don't remember how the rear brake attaches to the clip anymore. I'd look up the installation in the Shop Manual.

Pic #5 - I think you're looking at previous attempts to hang muffler brackets. If I have any left over holes, I'll just fill with seam sealer or JB weld (whichever is around at the time). All you need is protection against the elements...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
#2 Axle vent tube and clip to hold it (sorry dt, but you missed half of that one)
#3 I'm also going to guess that it is the remnants of a non-factory rear sway bar
#4 The e-brake cable should go over the frame rail and through the "tunnel" in the floorpan and held in by the bracket. BUT, I believe you have a replacement cable of some kind. That would explain why it is routed incorrectly and has that interesting "grommet" on it. There should be a rubber sleeve on the cable. That lower bracket looks to be the remnant of something long gone, like an exhaust hanger. Or maybe it is part of that replacement cable. It shouldn't be there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts