Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Team VMF -

As I gently caress and hold this Paxton (still in plastic) in my arms - we've come to a conclusion.

I try to live according to the guidance in a certain book/chapter in a very old book that I read daily. I try also to live by the 7 Army Values. Not making an effort to work with the vendor goes against those basic tenants. Life is full of little tests such as this.

So, I will reach out to the vendor and work with those guys to come up with a win/win solution. If an agreement can't be reached - will cross that bridge if I need to. We will see what we come up with. I'll probably go the credit route as I'm not sure my car is ready for a super charger. Also, my mechanical skills aren't stellar - I'll probably grenade my motor or break the rear end or get boost happy and end up in a mailbox or worse.

I came to this conclusion based on all your input as well as a PM I received and a conversation I had on messenger with a VMF ghost. Would it be nice to have an SC near next to nothing? Absolutely. Do I want it - darn right I want it. Do I need it - probably not as much as I need brakes or better steering....or according to JDUB - a monster cam. Some may think this is an asinine course of action. My mechanic is going to think I'm insane. They maybe right or wrong. Just going to make the effort. I'd probably want that if roles were reversed.

Got to wait til Sunday to sort this out as my guy over there is on holiday and will return then. Oh yea - I do have a pending credit for like 200$ with the Vendor - would hate to mess that up. =)

One other side note. I have 3 daughters. My oldest is 16. I constantly drill into her the word integrity. I use a basic definition for it: Making the hard right as opposed to the easy wrong when no one is looking. Seems applicable in this scenario.

Thanks for your feedback. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks
J
Good one John. I for one think you are making the best decision

·
Registered
723 Posts
In the course of my business, a supplier short delivered 12 items, and over delivered 24 of the same value.
Thinking that when it happens in the future to their benefit, that they would be more inclined to believe me, I notified them of the mistake that was in my favour.
They promptly billed me for the extra 24 items ... and neglected to credit me for the 12, which is now in dispute, with them saying it's not possible.
I'd do it again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
In the course of my business, a supplier short delivered 12 items, and over delivered 24 of the same value.
Thinking that when it happens in the future to their benefit, that they would be more inclined to believe me, I notified them of the mistake that was in my favour.
They promptly billed me for the extra 24 items ... and neglected to credit me for the 12, which is now in dispute, with them saying it's not possible.
I'd do it again.
Its late and I'm tired but I'm trying to grasp this.

They shorted you 12 items and over delivered 24 of same value items. You let them know of the over delivery. They then invoiced you for the 24 but never acknowledged/credited your 12 missing items? So you were invoiced for 36 and received 24?

If so - what are your options to recover that and if you don't mind me asking - what line of work are you in?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
680 Posts
The only thing I can add is think of all the people out there that get a kick out of getting those oops fare prices on plane tickets. They have no problem with getting a plane ticket for far less than it should have been listed for but unfortunately the law states they have to honor those fares. The airlines shouldn't have to honor those prices. How would you feel if there was an oops on your paycheck where they didn't pay you enough? Going by the plane ticket logic you should be SOL since it was an error in the system.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
The only thing I can add is think of all the people out there that get a kick out of getting those oops fare prices on plane tickets. They have no problem with getting a plane ticket for far less than it should have been listed for but unfortunately the law states they have to honor those fares. The airlines shouldn't have to honor those prices. How would you feel if there was an oops on your paycheck where they didn't pay you enough? Going by the plane ticket logic you should be SOL since it was an error in the system.
Not quite, the amount your employer pays you was agreed upon beforehand.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well, you asked.

If you keep it, it's theft. There, I said it. You hold a legal trump card but it doesn't change

Harsh and wrong......
Call the police station and ask them if it’s a crime.

Sell me that Paxton, make us both feel better.
Ha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Unfortunately you have provided no value to this discussion. .

Because it's not the answer you wanted?

Look John, legally you've already won. You can do what you want. You asked what members here thought about the situation and I answered honestly. Why would have asked unless at least some tiny bit of conscience was bothering you?

I intentionally didn't address your attempt to buy 10 more at this super value...

They legally sold him a part for far less than they paid for it. Theft is the act of stealing. That didn't happen here. People can argue about the moral implications but in doing so we shouldn't turn it into something it's not.
To imply a fellow member of the forum is a thief is blatantly against the rules. That beside the point your assertion that someone who paid for a product at the advertised price as being theft is nothing short of absurd.

Harsh and wrong......
Call the police station and ask them if it’s a crime.

I didn't call John a thief. Here's what I said:

If you keep it, it's theft. There, I said it. You hold a legal trump card but it doesn't change the moral implications of the deal.
I thought that statement was well qualified. I said he had a **legal** right to keep the blower but it was the moral implications that I was questioning. It would essentially be theft IF he kept it. I've never known morality to be a prerequisite for law.

There are a lot of members here who sell services and parts within the VMF. If any one of you had made an error in billing me for something you offer, I would not take advantage of my legal rights and keep the money, I would make good for your mistake. To do anything else would be stealing in my opinion.

Does the fact that the error was made by a faceless corporation instead of one of the guys here on VMF make this OK? Would any of you change your opinion if he did manage to get 10 more for the same silly price before they corrected the error? What if the whole website glitched and someone bought the entire inventory for $1000?

Someone above pointed out that the employee who entered the wrong price into the website might be fired, and that may happen. At best, the employee or someone will have to pay out of pocket for the blower that someone else will legally own.

No, John didn't find the blower on the store's counter, pick it up, leave $100 on the counter and walk out with it. That would be legal theft. But if he keeps it, the end result will be the same: he'll have an expensive part for pocket change. If anyone has a better word for keeping something legally that isn't morally theirs, I'll use it.

Again, I apologize for my opinion.

John

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Dear John,
My father is an old west pointer retired full bird. He's got many interesting and accurate quotable expressions. The one that comes to mind is, no one can say for sure what they will do, only what they think they will do...... ..and others such as if you always tell the truth, you never have a hard time remembering what you said, and if everybody could live by the 10 commandments, the world would be a better place! I recently went into a whole foods store and found a 20 bill just sitting on a clean table .....I picked it up, looked around to see who may have left it there, all 4 of the tables were clean, no one else really around... I sat there for a few minutes pondering why the heck is there an open 20 dollar bill just sitting here.... I walked it over to the customer service counter which was right beside the tables and told the young lady at the desk-she wasn't sure what to do with it and I advised her to give it to the manager and if no one claimed it they should donate it to a charity....now it's their moral problem, but before I get on my high horse, truthfully, the main reason I did this was I was wearing my work shirt and I half expected some camera crew to come walking up in an ah-ha, you thieving bast__d !!! moment.....and just a smidgen of all the other "right" reasons that have been discussed. I sure would like a paxton supercharger and I sure can not afford one......hmmmm....hmmm.....arrrrrgh......

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll give the company credit for not just jamming your credit card for the full amount. The fact that they called and were willing to eat their own mistake does make it difficult. When publicly called out for it I might have a hard time not doing the right thing. In private I'd be happily motoring down the road knowing that every once in a while the little guy gets a win.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Because it's not the answer you wanted........
Man, I had crafted a well thought our response to this and then I hit post and it all went away - lost in the internet universe. Ugh. Not re-crafting it. I'll just summarize.

I discounted yours because your message was lost in your in delivery. Not theft but still a thief so on an so forth. Just word play with the same meaning. You stole it. That's your opinion so have at it. It muted the rest of your post which ironically is inline with most of the *public* postings.

Read up a few posts to see my how I'm handling it. I'll have that conversation, present options. If we can't come to an agreement....so be it. If we do, so be it. What I do find interesting is the the public postings compared to some of the PM's I received and how diametrically opposed they are.

I'm done with it now and I've got bigger fish to fry. I've got to go finish my install of my disc brakes I legally, morally and ethically bought from Opentracker. I should send them another 500$ or so just 'cause the kit is great. CJPP experience is another story though. :smile2:

Have a great day VMF
-J

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Again, I apologize for my opinion.
You don't get an opinion on what a word means. Theft is a criminal act. When you say something is theft you imply the person doing it is a thief. You implied the man was a thief and you can't even apologize for that.

Definition of theft
1a : the act of stealing
specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
2 : a stolen base in baseball
3 obsolete : something stolen

Your opinion is that it's not moral or the right thing to do which is your prerogative. You don't get to decide what words mean so you can apply them as you see fit. Words mean what words mean.

As for the comments on card jamming...
Running the card for the full amount after the purchase that would at least be a violation of your card processing agreement. At worst depending on the circumstance it would be a criminal act. You can't process a card without someone's consent and if you listed an item at a low price, charged it then charged a higher price it's likely you'd run afoul of the FTC. Depending on how and who processes the card the number may not be available to the vendor as the processor completes the transaction and transfers the money to the vendor's merchant account with an approval code.

I say props to @John_in_SC for stepping up and asking. Many of us would not have done that. A vendor that size then calling the customers back for their mistake is tacky. Threatening to blackball is even worse.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
The threat to be blackballed would have really rubbed me the wrong way. Had they not done that I would return it for sure but after that threat I would be mad enough that I’m not sure what I would do. I would ask them if I return it will anyone lose their job. If their answer is yes I would likely keep it. If you return it and they get to keep their job then I would return it.
So my answer depends on how that company deals with the employee. I wouldn’t want anyone to lose their job. I would make sure to include this in my discussions with company to help the employee out for an honest mistake.
They really should have not called you about this. They should have just ate it and used it as a learning experience. Them threatening to blackball you is just wrong. For that reason alone I wouldn’t ever do business with them again.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
I think everyone needs to calm their feathers before we close this discussion. Everyone has made some good points relative to the situation. Let’s definitely refrain from ANY name calming. Although it doesn’t appear to be a direct statement, the implication stands by definition. At least John apologized. So lets move forward. It’s up to the John to work this issue out with the vendor. Hopefully no one will lose their job for a simple honest mistake and all will be right with the world.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I think everyone needs to calm their feathers before we close this discussion. Everyone has made some good points relative to the situation. Let’s definitely refrain from ANY name calming. Although it doesn’t appear to be a direct statement, the implication stands by definition. At least John apologized. So lets move forward. It’s up to the John to work this issue out with the vendor. Hopefully no one will lose their job for a simple honest mistake and all will be right with the world.
Well said Patrick

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
TBH - when I talked with the vendor....I indirectly asked about possible loss and I didn't get the impression anyone was going to be fired. So there's that.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I'd work it out with them like you are doing. Store credit, 1/2 price or whatever. You're doing the right thing IMO. Tempting to keep it for sure, but I couldn't do it. Mistakes happen. Win for both parties. The fact that you put this out there shows you have a conscience to me. If you didn't think twice about it and kept it........? Karma is real.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would return it.

Maybe the internet pricing guy loses his job because of the error and its the final straw. He has no money, his wife leaves, the dog runs away, he loses his home.

All he ends up with is a ashtray, a paddle game, a remote control, matches, a lamp, a chair and a magazine.

I couldnt sleep.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.