Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new NPD catalog and noticed that a "DOOR & PIVOT, vent window" is offered. Part number 21608 for 65 - 66. Has anyone purchased and used one of these? The little pivot on mine which should be chrome is a bit on the sorry side, have always looked for a solution to this problem. Anybody have any comments on this product, or does anybody know who the actual manufacturer is. I ask this because some companies just do a better job on parts than others and some just make awful parts and there is no room in my shop for those "awful" parts. While on this subject, has anyone had the little pivots chrome plated while still attatched to the stainless frame? Is this possible/practical?

·
Registered
381 Posts
My general recommendation would be to get a good used one somewhere. The glass is usually in good shape and the stainless can be brought back nicely.

G

·
Believe that my chrome guy charged around $20 each to re-chrome the pivots on a set of frames I sent a couple years back. He was able to do it without removing the pivots from the frames. Turned out nice!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
John, I replied to this on the hipo forum but will reply here as well...

I had mine rechromed and you've seen them. They turned out very nice and were done without removing them from the frame. I'm not sure how they did it though...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles, Merlyn, do you know if the plating was also applied to the stainless frames when the pivot was chromed? I am pretty confused on this issue. Merlyn, yours looked great as well as your window frames. Did you use a local plating company that I could call and see what they do about the stainless frame on the vent window? You guys know how I hate to use a reproduction part if the real thing can be salvaged.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I Know!!....I Know!!! :soda:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It looked like the masked off the stainless before dipping. I'm not sure where my shop sent them off to, I believe it was somewhere in Texas.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
jjmurphy said:
Charles, Merlyn, do you know if the plating was also applied to the stainless frames when the pivot was chromed? ..........

Frame was not chromed.... the pivots were. The reason for the challenge ;)

G

·
I asked my plater about the vent glass frames when I got them back and he said he did not chrome the stainless. It sure looked like it though, but I suppose a high buff could make them look like chrome too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After lots of thought it seems that having the original frames plated is the best option for my needs. Can anyone post the name of a plater that is capable of this job? Looking for a plating operation that has already done this and understands about the stainless frame with the steel pivots spot welded to them. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still looking for a plating company that can deal with steel pivots swedged to the stainless frames. So far every plating company contacted acts as though I am from another planet. If any of :loco: you have a company that you use and like that might have the ability to handle these little window frames I am interested. Help me save original parts! Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
My solution to the flaking chrome was to mask off the area around the pivot, then hand sand the chrome off the pivot to reveal the brass underneath. Followed by a date with the buffing wheel and a coat of clear paint.
It may not be chrome but the shiny brass looks great and it cost me nothing.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
hp289 said:
It may not be chrome but the shiny brass looks great and it cost me nothing.

Course ... then you would have a modified car ;) but always an option for some owners

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions for a plating shop that could deal with the pot metal pivot on the stainless vent window frame. Qualchrome in Pa. was suggested by several folks, and they are able to do this job. I ended up taking the frames to a place called Triangle Plating in St. Louis, Mo just today. I wanted to discuss first hand with the owner just what was expected. They will polish the stainless frames and the pivots, then "mask" the polished frames and plate only the pivots. The total job was $90.00, or $45.00 per side. Did not ask about just plating the pivots since the frames are "spares" and the stainless was not that great. The turn around time is two to three weeks (that probably means three or more in the language of a plater) and I will let you know the results. Now to locate the rubber "tape" needed to hold the glass vent wings back in. Thanks again to those who sent a PM.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Should be able to get the tape from a local glass shop and in varying thicknesses. My local glass shop just gave me what I needed (well, I know the owner...)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The finished vent glass frames just returned from the plating shop - about a month later than promised - but looked great. The spare vent frames that I took to them were less than pristine but they did a wonderfuljob polishing the stainless, the the little pivots were in sad shape but now are gleaming chrome. There was a tiny bit of chrome on the stainless where the pivot touches but it came off easilly with just a touch of a fingernail. The chrome wanted no part of the stainless and was not bonded at all. The cost was $45.00, plus $10.00 to ship it back to me via UPS, and I am happy with the results. This is certainly only a little tiny detail on a car, but one that most of us notice sooner or later. If there is a down side, it is that I sent some images to another Mustang nut and he thought that the frames had also been chromed rather than just the pot metal pivots. In a picture you cannot tell the chrome from the stainless!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts