Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For '65-'66 cars, regarding the vent windows. When I separated the glass from the frame, there was some black weatherstrip like stuff that holds the glass in or insulates it against the metal frame. I cannot find that in any catalog, and mine crumbled out. Is it just black silicon from a tube? It looked to be an insert since it was so uniform. I am not talking about the vent window weatherstrip, I'm talking about the stuff that separates the actual piece of glass from the thin frame around the glass. Thanks guys!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
Usually called "glass packing", but there are other terms for it. Most of us get it at winshield shops. It's also used to pin older door glasses into the regulator track, has been for many years. Late model cars generally use different attachment methods.
Head down to your local windshield shop and see if they will sell you some. The 19 year old who's only worked there a couple of months will likely have no clue what you are talking about, don't be dismayed. You can buy a length of it off their roll very cheaply or you might want to have them put the glass back in the frame for you. Installing involves beating it back together with a leather mallet, not a job for the faint-hearted. If you find an older glass guy who's done it many times it's really worth the extra money to let him take care of it. I know that's how it's done, but beating on a piece of glass with a hammer just doesn't come naturally to me. I pay the man.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
IIRC, Dave Sanborn mentioned he got some from NPD but had a heck of a time getting working with it and ended up having a local glass shop replace them. After talking with a couple window guys that had no clue I'm planning to take mine to a shop that works with a local collector car club. I forget what their initial phone estimate was but I don't think it was more than $20 - $30 for each of the doors glass. I can't imagine vent windows would be more.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
NPD sells the glass tape, and I thought it was actually pretty good to work with. I simply folded the roll around the edge of the glass, and carefully squeezed/pressed/pounded it in by hand. Once it was fully pressed in the stainless frame, I used a razor to cut any excess tape to leave a clean line even with the frame.

The tape NPD supplied wasn't wide enough to reach the high points of the window handle bracket when folded, so I just cut a couple extra pieces (2 per window) and used a tiny amount of 3M weatherstrip adhesive (as I did with the rest) to make sure it stays put. I know the factory tape was one piece, but the seam is not really visible even when closely scrutinizing the finished piece.

There may be better ways to go about this, but that's how I decided to do it. I'm pleased with the result, and it wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. Now I just hope my window stays put when my car's on the road. ;)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome guys, thanks! I'll get some glass tape and try it. After I screw it up, I'll take it to the glass shop.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I also used NPD's glass tape and it worked out pretty good on both the vent window and the lower side window frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts