Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this has been a fight. Can't get the rivet gun into the vent window division bar to replace the rivets I drilled out when I took the window apart, so been looking for solutions to get this thing moving again. The Autorestomod guys on Youtube mention they haven't had good success with riveting the parts back together (unfortunately no info on what the issues were, or how they managed to rivet them together in the 1st place) so they use Norton panelbonding adhesive instead. Here's the link, the assembly starts at about the 12:30 mark.

I'm more than a little leery of depending on any kind of adhesive alone to hold the window together but I don't seem to have any better options. Has anyone used this adhesive to bond the vent window parts, and have any results to pass on? Other options to suggest I haven't found or thought of? My best guess was to use some kind of flat headed screw, but I still wonder if the head'll be low enough to allow the door window to run in the channel.

Also, what do you use to clean the new vent window weatherstrip to get the white compound off? So far I've tried soap and water, vinegar, and denatured alcohol (per a thread I found in VMF). None are really doing the job. Will I get better results if I clean as best as I can, then apply a rubber treatment?

Thanks for any input. C.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,301 Posts
Adhesives have came a LONG way in the past 20 years. Panel bond is what is/was used to glue many panels on late model cars including the doors. My former employer made wings for Boeing and Gulf stream and the adhesive they used was stronger than the aluminum parts it glued together. I would think properly prepped panel bond would work well. I would try to use adhesive and rivets.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I would say use a different rivet gun if it bothers you to use the adhesive, or perhaps a cold weld, and if it is visible you can secure a piece of the rivet in what would be its home with some of that adhesive.

Reactions: GT_SCODE

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
You either grind the rivet gun to fit the channel, or, stack some flat washers between the rivet head and the rivet gun tip. Thats all you gotta do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roddster, that's the solution. Pretty logical if you think about it. Redneck and myfirstcar make good points, but if I ever want to get it apart again....
Thanks, folks. One of these days I'll post a finished car.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
A few years ago somebody here at VMF (his user name was Tony something (maybe 65 or 66) posted about modifying a small C clamp to make an easy-peasy vent window reassembly tool. (I have a helluva memory sometimes.) I know that post is here somewhere, you could search for it. As for me right now, I'm gonna go get some sleep.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts