Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in putting in a 9" rear end from a Lincoln Versailles into my 66 fastback and wanted to know if anyone has any experience in doing this. Specifically, do i need to have the housing shortened since it is 3/4 of inch longer than the stock 66? Any quesses how much this would cost? Any other modifications required to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
No shortening is needed; there is a push on this subject from time to time, use the search function and there is alot of experience posted in the Forum about it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a Versailles rear in my fastback, and I would not EVER do that again... The brakes are VERY HEAVY and it will make the rear end ride like a truck. It works great, but the unsprung weight is a big issue on a car as light as a Mustang. You can find 9" housings and install other disc brakes if you need discs. Or, you can even put other lighter discs on the Versailles rear. One thing to be sure and check is the pinion angle. The spring perches on the VErsailles are welded at a diffrent angle than the stock rear axle, so the u-joint will be pointing in a different direction than stock. That will cause a drivetrain vibration unless you use angled shims to get the pinion parallel to the output shaft on the tranny. That is exacerbated quite a bit if you also have installed an AOD or a T5 in the car, as the aftermarket crossmembers really drop the rear of the tranny down from where it belongs. Just be sure the two are parallel and it will be fine. The angle of the shim varies depending on how much the car is lowered, etc.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I also had a Versaille rear in my 66 coupe. Never got the brakes to work to my satisfaction. Went back to 8 inch and drums and it stops a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a versailles rear right now.

I'm now putting together the parts to do a Mark VII type thing found at (www.ultrastang.com).

Aka, even though I have rear disc brakes with the versailles, the parking brake setup is making try another rear disc brake solution. So do the math.

Everything is balance between time and money. The medium bearing rear axle (or some call them small bearings) with the explorer discs might be another ticket.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/26478/ is also a article for more information.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have a Versailles rear under my 65. It's given 5+ years of dependable service with NO performance issues....

As you are aware, it's slightly wider - compensate for this by running wheels with additional backspace.

You should adjust the caliper spacing during installation - do that, and the E-brake will work just fine. The E-brake is important, and should be used occasionally, since it operates the self-adjusting mechanism. Cable hookup was easy - use Versailles rear cables, Mustang front cable, and a short "intermediate cable" to link the two together.

Disc rear calipers require more fluid to operate than drum cylinders - make sure to use a master cylinder with at least a 1" bore. I'm using the 1.25" bore truck M/c, and the pedal is high and firm - great feel.

As others have mentioned, the Versailles rear IS 25 year old technology. They are some nice aftermarket "kits" out there that can be a good way to go. However, if you have a chance to pick up a COMPLETE Versailles rear, they can be a good way to add a 9" disc brake rear. It's not PERFECT, but it's a good solid design that CAN work quite well.

Mine is a 3.25 geared 4-pinion T-lock. I've got about $600-$700 TOTAL invested, including rebuilt calipers. I'm sure a phone call to Currie would get a "new technology" 9" with the same goodies - at about triple the $$$... ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts