Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost finished with the installation of this brand new disc brake axle when I discover that there is supposed to be a wedge-shaped shim of metal between each axle perch and the top of each spring. Its purpose is to tilt the axle housing up so the angle between the pinion and the driveshaft is reduced.

You guessed it, these little pieces are missing from the box of pieces I received when I bought it. I have installed this type rear end before in another mustang. I removed it from the donor Versailles myself. I dont remember seeing these metal wedge 'shims', I should know the answer but are they important? The car isnt on the ground yet but the angle between the pinion and driveshaft doesnt look outrageous.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mark,

Shims surprise me also. I'm just throwing shots in the dark here, but I'd check to see how far out it is... angle wise by comparing to a non shim rear. If it's not too far off I'd try it. Only bad thing that might happen is shorter u-joint life (if it's not too much difference).
Could you cut the perches and rotate them around to shim specs? Any chance that the angle would effect proper lube to the bearings?

My last suggestion is off-road shops usually stock shims, as lifted vehicles usually need shims to keep the u-joints happy.

Rear going in your 65 or 70?

Jeff

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have been rebulding these rear ends for years and just the other day I seen my first one with shims. I don't know if they are stock or what. Denver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts