Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems simple enough..slide little plastic tabs under chrome trim and rubber channel into seat back groove.right?..wrong!!!!!!!!!!..you have to be hercules to pull this boot far enough to lock into all the right places. Takes an hour to install..who needs this headache...can't I buy one that just snaps into place like the originals did? Oh by the way..I bought this at Mustangs Unlimited and the box is marked correctly for my car..maybe I should drive up there and watch one of those kids behind the counter struggle to get this on..tomorrow should be a good day..the temps are going to hit 98..*snickers*

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My boot is similar to yours, if it is left in the trunk it tends to shrink and I hae the same problems you are describing. Once installed in the sun it stretches back to a better fit. My tabs don't want to stay under the chrome lip, sometimes I think I may have a reproduction.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yep! I avoid putting my top up in the summer time to avoid the best two out of three falls with my boot. The one that was with the car when I bought it (I suspect it was an original) fit a little better but the little bead that fit in the track behind the rear seat was a tough plastic that firmly snapped into the track. The replacement unit from TMI has a really soft rubber bead that is never quite in the track to stay. I get sore thumbs trying to get that bead down into the track. The nylon tabs around the outside aren't so bad on mine, but never, never forget to snap the stupid snaps first. They do look better when installed than the older "boat deck" type with the sanps all around.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My LTD has the same setup. What a PITA! I have no problem with the tabs, I just cant get the little bead to stay in the grove on the back seat. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif No matter how I put it in, it fust slipps out as soon as I get over about 30mph. Then I have a big aif scoup back there. AUUUGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
First of all, I see everyone pushing the bead down into the groove, It's designed to slide from one side to the other, Not forced down into it.If it won't slide, the groove is too tight, needs to be opened up. If it won't stay in, the groove is too big and needs to be pinched together. Then when the boot is nice and warm, you streeeeeeatch it back to fit under the chrome molding. The system works real well when used properly. But then again, the boot may be shrunk from age as stated before. I'm sure the boot with the plastic bead was the original, and the vinyl wrapped bean is aftermarket. Don't quote me on that, I'm rally a Pontiac guy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But I do have a warm feeling for my 68 Mustang convertible. And that's the way my boot goes on.........Top

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah..I am thinking to just have a custom boot made with snaps all around..this plastic tab thing..doesn't cut it for me

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
When removing the boot cover I don't remove the front!! Got it in once after 25 minutes struggle.
I just unhook everything else, flop it into the back seat, raise the top and flip it back into the well.
Just make sure you pull it out before lowering the top again,
Bruce (TX)
70 vert
69 vert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts