Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya gang! Once again I sure wished I had made CFII. However, I think I will wait until Red Five Interactive can afford some chairs and maybe even a table or two! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Seriously, it looked like a great time was had by all.

Now then. I know that the most effective mod for cowl shake and overall handling in a 'vert is sub-connectors. Those are not an option for me. However, I am not against dropping in an export brace and a monte carlo bar if they will help. My biggest concern is that by stiffening the front end up with the aforementioned braces, it will concentrate the twisting forces into the cowl box and actually make it worse. Any convertible owners out there have an opinion on this? TIA.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
I think anything you do to strengthen the chassis stiffness will help reduce the cowl shake.

I know after I added the upper triangular brace, lower K frame brace and frame connectors to my 89 rag it made a night and day difference to the way the car behaved.

G

·
0 Posts
I HAD THE SAME PROB ON MY 65 K GT VERT,AND I PUT A 1 1/8 FRONT SWAYBAR ON THE FRONT AND PUT
KONI`S ALL AROUND,ALSO MADE SURE UNDERBODY BRACE WAS NICE AN TIGHT,
AND IT WAS ALL GONE,
IF YOU HAVE REPO SS/WHEELS MAKE SURE THERE BALANCED OFF THE LUG HOLES,NOT THE CENTER HOLE
IT MAKES A BIG DIFF
DAVE

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Koni's currently...and the styled steel wheels are the originals. I also have the original GT anti-sway bar. I know what a difference a 1" anti-sway bar, export brace and monte carlo bar made on my coupe......unbelievable! I am hoping to tighten the 'vert up as well as can be done with bolt on stuff only. Hadn't thought ot check the underbody brace...I will have to do that too. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not a harmonic like that. More just a general flex in the chassis which is most evident when the road isn't smooth or over a bump. You can actually see the widshield and A-pillars sort of shimmy left-right. I have heard that back in '65, the convertibles were so susceptive to this, that when being transported by rail the edges of the hood would strike the edges of the fenders and actually crack or chip the paint. I suppose that is the best indicator that this problem was inherently "built in" to most/all early convertibles huh?

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Randy ; welcome to the 50 MPH shake and shudder club ! A lot of 65-68 CVs have that same malady . After spending a ton of money chasing the cause I've learned to live with it .

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Shannon,

convertible cowl shake, unfortunately, is a fact of life due to fact that we have a UNIBODY without an integral ROOF which makes up the WHOLE package for stability. Cars with separate, complete frames are not as prone to this "shake". My newest "acquisition", a 2002 RamAir TransAm convertible STILL has cowl shake evident, most notably going over rough roads, railroad tracks, etc. A lot can be done to tighten the suspension up, however, the cowl shake is pretty much something you have to resign yourself to if you insist on owning a convertible.....

still, all in all, the shake is well worth the feeling of roaring around with the top down... *G*

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/newcar1.jpg

randy

G

·
0 Posts
It's a vert problem. You may have heard it called scuttle shake, the Brit term. If your coupe shakes
check your motor mounts, tranny mount, and driveshaft balance.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Well, at least now I can turn to my bride and say "Why that's just a little "cowl shake", Hun," when she asks the inevitable question "What the heck was that?" when we a bump in the road. She'll feel real foolish she didn't know about that.

J. Bogs

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well it not a classic but my 98 SVT Vert has bad cowl shake. I added a combo export/monte carlo bar (deleted by Ford that year). It did improve handling but did nothing for cowl shake. Did not make it worse though. You really need frame connectors to control it. BTW my car does have the X brace and vert plates on the underside.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Put an export brace/monte carlo bar/sub frame (TCP) connectors and rebuilt the front end on the 67....its a huge improvement, but will still get a little shake when the thing hits a nice pothole at 40-60.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The cowl shake, which was very evident on my car, has virtually disappeared since I had the TCP subframe connectors welded in. I don't have an export brace or Monte Carlo bar installed yet. The "sure-footedness" of the car really increased after the TCPs, the suspension is now doing more of its job rather than having the unibody do it. I'd recommend you reconsider getting them if at all possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts