Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think ive ever been this angry. It's like I wasn't meant to have my mustang. I don't think anyone wants me to ever drive it. Got the ignition back in today..... I go to put in the new lock cylinder.... fool around with it for a few minutes, Think I have it, go to pull on the key, and the damn cylnider comes out of its sleeve shoot roller bearings all over the place!!! No big deal I thought, I still have the old one...... go to put it back in....... and the same DAMN thing happens again!!!! I have no idea how these bearings go back in this thing..... so Im ordering a new one. You have no idea how frustrated I am, and I am seriousley thinking about selling my car. It is so damn stressing, and everyime I get excited and think im going to get to drive it........ BANG...... somthing else happens!!!! I have had this car 2 1/2 years and Only driven the thing twice..... To the body shop, and Home from the body shop! Sorry for the boring rant, BUT I AM REALLY PISSED AND CONFUSED AT THE SAME TIME. Too much money has went into this car, and I still can't drive the damn thing!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Take a step or six back. Grab a beer and relax.

Ok, now, think about what you just did with the two lock cylinders... you must have snagged the cover no something and when you pulled it out the cover came off, which in turn spat all of the guts out on the floor. Figure out what you did before you do it a third time.

You are being tested. The car gods are having fun with you. They do it to me all the time. You will get beyond this and someday tell the same story while laughing at yourself.

G

·
0 Posts
Take your pieces and the key to a locksmith and they can put it back together for abut $25.

At least then the ignition key will still match the doors (assuming they do now - they should) and it will only take about an hour.

The cylinder has to be in the same position it was in when removed to insert it again. Take the pin and stick it in the hole then turn the key 1 position past ACC and slide it in.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Kent is right, its those damned car muggles. Take it all with a grain of salt, things will get better.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sounds like me!!!! trying to crank the engine to fire her up and nothing.......after 5 hours of taking valve covers off oil pan etc.....

turns out the coil wire was disconnected (or I forgot to hook it up)

sometimes you gotta sit back and laugh at yerself!!!!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've had those days too. A while back I asked VMF about a front main seal leak of a certain '78 302 engine. I think I was asking about resleeving a harmonic balancer which already has been sleeved and grooved again (PO didn't replace the front main seal, it was rock hard and cracking). Anyway, I resleeved the HB, noticed the timing chain was stretched (asked VMF for opinions whether to replace) so I decided to get a double roller t-chain. Long story short, the stock 2 piece fuel pump eccentric wouldn't work with the double roller TC and the single piece fuel pump eccentric I bought didn't work because the cam dowel pin was too short and stuck so I had to buy another stock multi-link TC. Then I had to replace the Timing cover because the old one was Swiss cheese and had to buy another front main seal to fit it. After a couple other cluster flugs, I get the whole thing bolted together and IT STILL COATED THE RH SPINDLE AND BRAKE WITH OIL! I had torn the main seal installing the harmonic balancer. I felt like pushing the wagon off a cliff.

So, I tear it apart and replace the front main seal - AGAIN and slapped it together. The front main seal doesn't leak but the rear main seal, rear intake, and valve cover fittings leak oil to beat the band.

Sometimes the automotive repair process is two steps forward, three steps back.

Dean T

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a six pack and a couple of comedies at the video store. Walk away and fight another day. Do it by the numbers next time and it will slide right in and fire up like a champ and you will have another humorous story to tell at the next car show. You don't always win the battle, but don't miss out on winning the war!!

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
I once built an engine for a customer (ok, more than once). It was all together after many hours of work. The engine was painted, the tranny was painted and bolted up. I had the entire assembly on the hoist and was pushing it to the car when I tripped over something.

I swore at the floor, then looked down and saw what it was that I had tripped over. It was the oil pump. DOH!!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The hardest lesson I have had to learn is patience. It seems the more angry I get the worse things get, and the harder they become. The more I fight something the more difficult it becomes, or it creates another problem that was bigger then the first.

If I take a breath and step back from the problem most of the time the solution becomes obvious, it's staring me right in the face.

Hehe, the car gods seem to respect that, and if they can't you off, they'll stop trying. I just say to myself, "OK, there is something here I am not getting, I'm going to figure this out and then you car god guys can't get me on this one.....*G*"

I don't get mad, I get even with those little suckers!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Yes, there is a snake bite process that is part of owning these cars. You will feel like junking the car many times before you get it on the road. That is normal. Have faith that those feelings will be replaced by another feeling, down the road. By the time the car is done, your love for old mustangs will have been reduced to the point it will not turn into an obsession, thus leaving your life and heart free to embrace other things. These cars will humble you. It took me 5 years to get my car on the road and now, the NOS and new parts are breaking or failing and requiring replacement, after about 10,000 miles. Try spending about 18 months to do body work and paint prep, painting your car, plus 150 hours of hand rubbing and color sanding of the new paint (going over the car 11 times with different grits of sandpaper and types of polish, then 24 hours after you are done, before the car has even been backed out of the garage, having two florescent light tubes get knocked out of the overhead and the prongs gouge 15 deep pock marks down your passenger side door. That is just a minor glitch on this car. About the best thing going for the old stang is that I don't have to get the annual California smog check. Believe me, that has done more to preserve my ownership of the car than anything else.

This, too, will pass.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
its ok, ive had mine longer, made less progress, and have less money and probably less time..... i probably will sell mine

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Went through the same sort of nightmare about a year ago. In fact I made a very similar post on here then. I ended up not going anywhere near the car for about 6 months. And well look where I am now...

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I feel your pain, same exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Cost me about $50 to get a locksmith to fix it.

I was going to change out my ignition switch the other day and that's all I could think about as I was tugging on it-decided descretion was the better part of valor and put the old one back.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
967 Posts
Those damn ignitions can be a real pita. I was going to use the ignition from 67 parts car in my 68 because the 68 didn't have any keys. Well I pull out the 68 ignition cylinder and guess what it has a different cylinder. Okay so I will drill the tumblers out of the 68. No problem I am drilling and drilling with the cylinder wrapped in a rag being held by the vise. So I am almost done and pull the cylinder out of the vise to inspect how much further I need to drill. The cylinder gets snagged on the rag and then falls on the ground. This causes the plastic clip that hooks into the harness to grenade across my garage floor. The thing is ruined. And to add to the insult I pick it up and then the tumbler falls out. ARGGGGHHHHH.

So the next day I go the local mustang shop to get a replacement along with a new fuel sending unit and related gasket and retaining ring. I inspected the cylinder to make sure it was the right one then I paid for my stuff and the guy asks my if I want a bag. No I am okay I say. I walk out and in the parking lot there are a couple of stangs with hoods open so I stop to take a look. I look for a couple of minutes then I start to walk over to my car and I hear a clunk. So I look around and low and behold the box that the cylinder was in had opened up and there was my $30 ignition cylinder laying on the ground in 2 pieces.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH I hate this ffffffing car the #$^%#$%^ car is gone AAARRRRGGHHH.

I picked up the pieces of the cylinder and then didn't touch the car for a month. After that month I looked at the cylinder and it could be epoxied together.

The moral of the story is this. These cars try our patience, stretch our wallet, consume our time, and just generally frustrate us. But that is all part of the war. Just figure that this time you lost the battle. Regroup the troops and prepare for the next battle because that one you will win.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It was a simple fuel pump r&r that got me. When hooking up the fuel line I cross threaded it. Ruined the brand new fuel pump. The others are right, sometimes you just need to walk away from it for a while. When it quits being fun, don't do it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
TIme to take a break. 2.5 years is a long time? I am sure it feels longer because you were teaseed with the two driving opportunities. I have been working on my dream car for over 13 years now. I have never, repeat never, driven my Mustang under its own power even once. I have sunk lots of cash into STang and I have definitely felt how you feel now. spent major cash on the engine and tranny and rebuilding them both and put them in last fall and just sat and stared and let the reality sink in that I could not sit in the drivers seat and start her up. I felt kinda the same way when the body work was done and the new paint was on. I brought Stang home and just sat and stared and again realized that after all that time and money, still cant start her up and go for a drive. A couple of long time VMFers have already given you good advice on not letting it get the better of you. Keep a cool head, step back, think it through and tomorrow try again. But above all, remember why you are doing this in the first place. Remember that feeling you got when you where driving your Mustang and that will keep you going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts