Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had this problem for sometime now and would like try to fix it. I attempted to give it a shot a few nights ago by adjusting the striker plate with no sucess. Problem is in order to get my doors to close all the way they have to be slammed shut very hard. when they are closed all the way the alignment looks pretty good. When the door is opened you can feel the door sag down. I thought by moving the striker plate down that might help. However it made things worse. Am i going to have to adjust the front hinges to get things straightened out? If so which part of the hinges needs to be adjusted?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I had to replace my hinges (did not want to rebuild) to fix this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It sounds like your hinges are worn. Has the door been off? Is it the same for both sides? Are they replacement doors? Be careful when closing door after any adjustments....make sure window is down or you could break it. I just put my two doors on my 68 Coupe. Original drivers door fit good and fast. ( spent 2 Hrs on it ) Had to replace passenger door ( spent over 3 Hrs on it ) and still does not fit well. It closes fine but the margins are off. Outboard at the bottom and inboard at the top. I will wait and make final adjustments when the fenders are on. So you see why I ask those questions. Yes and moving the striker can get you in all kinds of trouble. Spent some time as striker install-adjust and door fitter on the Tempo\ Topaz line.
Mike.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The best way to fix this issue would be to rebuild or replace the hinges. Then remove the striker and align the door where it lines up perfect. Then replace the striker to align with the door. It will take some time, but it's the best way to get it right.

Lstar

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well sounds like I have some more work to do.. The doors are original, both sides have problems, and I have never had the doors off. Will I have to remove the fenders to get to the hinges. What do I need to do to rebuild the hinges, or should I just replace them.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ditto what Mustangpainter said, exactly. That's what I did on my sportsroof that had the same problem as yours. I'm sure you will find that the brass bushings in the hinges are non-existent when you take the hinges apart.

BTW, I did mine without removing the fenders. You, of course, will have to be much more careful, as your paint is just a little better than mine ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you're careful, you can do it without removing the fendors.

Just get hinge rebuild kits. I found it was easiest to just cut the old pins with a cut off wheel, shove the new pin and bushings in, then cut the new pin to the correct length. It's very easy to do, and will take about 1/2 hour or less per hinge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts