Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just recently purchased my first Mustang. It is a modified 66 with a Foxbody 302 engine. I am currently trying to learn as much as possible before I start to work on the car. I am having an issue with the leaf springs or rather a bar that is attached below the leaf spring with a rubber tip at the end. I have not seen this on the documents or videos on leaf springs or in kits for leaf springs. If I decide to change out the leaf spring, do I need this part below?
Thank you very much.

leafspring66.jpg

·
Radar
6,965 Posts
Hello, I have just recently purchased my first Mustang. It is a modified 66 with a Foxbody 302 engine. I am currently trying to learn as much as possible before I start to work on the car. I am having an issue with the leaf springs or rather a bar that is attached below the leaf spring with a rubber tip at the end. I have not seen this on the documents or videos on leaf springs or in kits for leaf springs. If I decide to change out the leaf spring, do I need this part below?
Thank you very much.

View attachment 794315
Those traction bars didn't come from the factory and no, you really don't "need them" per se.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a set on mine. If you remove them you might get wheel hop if you have enough hp to spin the back tires. No harm in leaving them on just in case.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Traction bars....certainly not "needed". I would get rid of them if you don't drag race...and if you do drag race, there are leaf spring alternatives(or coil-over setups) that might still allow you to ditch them

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Wrigh, you don't HAVE to have them, but they help you launch. If you drive enthusiastically, as I do, you'll want to keep them, or maybe replace them with Cal-Tracs. You can get different leaf springs that reduce the need for them, but most Stangs need SOMETHING. I think the bars like you have are fine. They were originally bright yellow, yeah, it was a status thing in highschool. But I wasn't in highschool in the eigthties, I was already out, so tractor bars are alot older than that. The nice way to go is to paint them flat black, so they are not obtrusive, or get Cal-Tracs. But with Cal-Tracs you'll have to paint all of the shiny new bolts and such if you are trying to be discreet. LSG

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I have a pair sitting outside beside the garage that came off my project. I have no need for them but can't bring myself to throw them away. lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
I made set from scratch for my 65 back in '78 or '79. horrendous wheel hop, even with beefed up springs (I was running a 351W and manual trans).
Made all the differance in the world and tighetened up back end for the corners. I will be installing again when I get current 65 coupe done (paint flat white like mine, or flat black. Don't need to be yellow lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just zoomed in on my pic. Looks like i painted black, not white (must have been going for the stealth look lol,,,

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
The yellow is very important to the function. The function of being extremely cool.

My Mustang in '84.

Seriously, not needed and there more aesthetically attractive choices these days.

Reactions: pollock and 4ocious

·
Registered
138 Posts
The yellow is very important to the function. The function of being extremely cool.

My Mustang in '84.

Seriously, not needed and there more aesthetically attractive choices these days.
Very nice ! I hope you still have the car ?

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whoa, very nice !!
About 2 years after I took that picture I did a complete restoration using all nos (hood, fenders and quarters). Even found some mint steel styled wheels ( correct ones with chromed rims). Took about 2 years. About 3 years after done some stupid kid set fire to the warehouse it was sitting in. My car and a whole lot more (building was multi storey, former GM trim plant) were lost.
I gave the 5 spokes to a budy when I restored the car. He gave them back a few years ago. Now in my garage. They rears are tornado G60-14,,,white lettering in, small world.
Safe travels!

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Count me among the old school knuckle-draggers that think they look cool.

Do you need them? Depends on how you drive and what you want the car to do. If you like to accelerate hard from a stop, then you will likely find that you have wheel hop and you need them. You can certainly take them off and try it.

If you want to maximize their effectiveness, add some steel shims between the traction bar and the leaf spring at the green arrow... enough to make the snubber almost touch the spring (red arrow).

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Count me among the old school knuckle-draggers that think they look cool.

Do you need them? Depends on how you drive and what you want the car to do. If you like to accelerate hard from a stop, then you will likely find that you have wheel hop and you need them. You can certainly take them off and try it.

If you want to maximize their effectiveness, add some steel shims between the traction bar and the leaf spring at the green arrow... enough to make the snubber almost touch the spring (red arrow).

View attachment 797466
I always wondered about that in the old days - the large (sometimes) gap between the snubber and the leaf - and the efficacy of the traction bar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts