Very Original 1965 Mustang Fastback San Antonio TX

18K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  1ofAMillion+ 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: C7Z
#5 ·
Patrick,
Don't let it ruin your day. Instead, give the seller a call so you can satisfy your curiosity. ;)

#18 ·
WTF, where are the seconds?

CL? Sure anything goes and that ad is sure to lead to plenty of wasted time or money or both. Sure the seller sets the rules but why make it so nebulous to buy or sell the car. If he wants the best offer or to give it to some story aficionado special needs so or so a seller should say so. Essentially he is just entertaining offers. He could tell the 1st through 12th person he has already had better offers or tell everyone the only thing that really matters! The rest is a story that adds or detracts.

#9 ·
Or negotiating for that matter. For instance, I found two similar cars on CL today for less than $30K. One a GT coupe, and one a 4-speed FB. Both appeared to be in at least 50% better condition. Probably closer to 75% better.

Allen asked me earlier today what she thought on price for this car. I replied $25K. After seeing the other two cars listed, I'm thinking closer to $20K.

#12 · (Edited)
There's a bit of a problem with that as well, just my opinion. "If you are out of state then let me recommend one of the local Mustang experts to assess the car for you." The recommendation would obviously also be the person that has listed the car for the seller. Seems to be a conflict of interest there.

By the way Evan, you could at least respond to pm's. Go jump in the lake is better to me than me reading on another thread that you've cleaned out your inbox in order for someone to send you other information.

Again, just my opinion though..

Allen

#14 ·
Agreed.

If it’s not in the ballpark of my budget there’s no sense in looking at the car. The condition is irrelevant if the buyer can’t afford it.:|

#22 · (Edited)
Sellers such as this are generally a nightmare to deal with. If it’s this big of an issue to even find out the asking price, imagine the next set of hurdles. Is a down payment needed for a test drive?

The only possible reason that would make a seller hold off on revealing the asking price until After an inspection would be so that the seller could be given the opportunity to justify the high price.

He’s probably seen a recent tv show and “Knows” how much the car is worth, but needs to be able to present this info to justify the price. This type of seller fully knows that the price is very high, but is needing to present in person the reasons for the price.

I can fully understand not negotiating until after the car is seen, as you can’t reasonably negotiate until you know what you’re negotiating.

We recently sold our Yukon. We clearly listed the asking price but weren’t going to negotiate any adjustment until we met and they inspected the car. Any downward price adjustment before the inspection is now the starting price for further negotiating once they look at the car; fact.

We had one guy ask over the phone, before seeing the car, what was the least that I’d take. I asked him what was the highest that he’d pay. :laugh: He didn’t appreciate my humor.

“No seriously, what’s the least that you’ll take?”
“Yes seriously, what’s the most that you’ll pay?”

I do wish your seller friend luck with the car, as it sounds very nice. I’m just not the type of buyer to waste time on what would surely be an over priced car.

With a car in the shape that it’s described he should really be looking for a national buyer and not limit his advertising area to one city. I’d get it appraised and list it on eBay. :wink:

#26 ·
bump.

I spoke to the seller who is willing to negotiate with a serious buyer.

#29 ·
I'm going to double that offer at $2.00!

2 pages of wasted verbiage and prices are dropping on "normal" cars.

#39 · (Edited)
Not nearly as nice as I was expecting with the mysterious pricing strategy that apparently didn’t work,.....:|

For the late comers to the thread, the owner was refusing to even MENTION to any potential buyers the car’s price without the potential buyer seeing the car in person.

#40 ·
A bit more respect for pricing it finally.
Not a surprising dreamer price, i say dreamer only because the ALL ORIGINAL part is a very sharp double edged sword. Like sound deadner thats never been moved so it hold pieces off the toe boards solid. That one underneath shout is not the money shot.

Anyone else think that trunk lid rust could be from fuel vapors? Gonna be cheesy under that spot.

#42 ·
It took me a number of years to learn this, but "Yes," drive it on nice days and try not to go out in the rain much, never wash the car with the hose, and just drive it and enjoy it for what it is. As they say, they're only original once and sometimes it's nice just to appreciate that, like a fine vintage bottle of wine or an antique.

#43 ·
From ad: ..."original wheels and still have original spare wheel with factory radial tire in trunk along with jack."

Anyone whose 1965 Mustang originally came with radial tires, please raise your hand? I'll wait.........................

And driven only 600 miles since 1979 (39 years), you'd spend thousands of dollars just to make it roadworthy.

On a positive note, from the photos it looks like it might have disc brakes (has disc brake pedal pad).

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.