Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know what a hot wire is? Basically, it's a wire that goes around horse paddocks to keep them off the fence. If touched, it delivers about 50-gajigavolts of electricity, enough to teach a 1200 pound horse a painful lesson. Naturally, there's hot wire involved in my doofus tale.

This afternoon I was mowing the back yard on the riding mower. I had to pass through an open gate to get to get to another section. The hot wire's strung about 5 feet up over the gate (65Topless, you know the wire I'm talking about). I wasn't paying attention, and caught the wire right across the neck! Did I mention this wire can drop a 1200 pound horse, and I weigh, oh, around 190? Anyway, I FLEW off the seat of the tractor and rolled around on the ground for a while screaming my head off! Luckily SWMBO wasn't home and none of the neighbors were out, otherwise I'd never live this one down!

Anyway, I'm all bett ... bet ... better nowwww, sso donn''t worry abbbou ... aboutt me!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, I caught my leg in my Dad's charged fence that goes around a flower garden, supposed to keep the dogs out. Anyway, even its little jolt suprised the fecal matter outta me. Well I can say one thing for ya, you are as tough as a horse (if you excuse the screaming, that is).

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Ouch! That hurt just to read about it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Say, mind if I put you on speed dial? You and that chopper of yours might come in handy some day!

Hey, you planning to come to the VMF BBQ after Pony Trails? Great opportunity to meet a bunch of fellow VMFers and Stang enthusiasts. Let me know.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
And here I thought you were going to say you locked your keys in your car again! *G*

I bet your wife is wondering why your talking funny /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just tell her puberty kicking in!! hehe!

A friend of mine when I was a teenager had a ranch we used to go out to on the weekends during the summer, and he could be a mean sob for his age. He used to catch the stray cats running around the barn and throw them onto the hot wire just for kicks, and laugh like there was no tomorrow. One evening we were goofing around just throwing rocks at the side of the barn, and stuff and It was getting pretty dark, so it could be hair raising sometime if you were standing to close to the fence, and didn't realize it. He had to take a leak, and chose his spot not thinking of how close he was to the hot wire. I was probably 30 feet away when I heard this scream like someone was on fire. Needless to say he was standing a little to close to the fence! All I saw was him bolt pass me, holding his crotch with both hands, pants still down around the knees, and screaming at the top of his lungs!

At this point I still didn't know what had happened, and thought maybe he got bit by a rattler or something. Once his mom checked him out, and we saw that he was going to be o.k., we realized how funny the situation was, and his mom and I were busting up and laughing so hard, the tears were pouring out! He wasn't much in the laughing mood though.

For some reason, that was the last summer I was invited out to the ranch. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
546 Posts
Unfortunately, I can relate to your friends pain. It's a memory that will live with me for the rest of my life. When I was 8, the neighbour had clydesdales, and he and my father were drinking buddies. One night I'm sitting in the car waiting while they shot the crap and polished off a case of Blue Ribbon. While waiting, had to go bad! Jumped out of car and just figured to let it fly on the weeds. Boy, was I wrong!!!! And the worst part about it is that once you start, you can't stop until the tanks empty!!!!! Dad never has figured out why I was in the backseat whimpering and in the fetal position!

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Ouch! And when I saw hot wire I thought maybe you accidentally took a leak on it or something /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I know exactly the wire. I got a couple static zaps off it when I re-hooked it the other day. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Those things shock people more than they shock the animals that they were intended for.

Many years ago my friend and I were playing whiffle ball out front. He hit the ball into the neighbors field, so he had to go get it. Figuring he was tall enough to step over the hot wire instead of crawling underneath it like usual, he stradled the wire and like you, fell to the ground screaming. He got one leg over, then I said something to make him laugh and he moved the wrong way and that was the end of his laughter. I was still laughing, but he wasn't.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Oh yeah, life on the ranch.
I, originally being a city boy, was convinced by my in-laws that it was ok to test my new fence in the same type of way. What a wake up call. I still get a shock now and then when my laziness has me squeeze through the wires, rather then walk to the gate. Mine is solar powered, so not quite the kick you have.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Funny, there was a show on Discovery Channel just the other nite about Shock Therapy and how it helps depressed people, You aren't depressed anymore are you? I used to have this stupid dog that was part bird and part beagle, he didn't know whether to chase birds or point rabbits and he used to hike it on my neighbors elect. fence frequently, I guess he got a "charge" out of it or something...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Bridget sends you her best regards, and hopes you get well soon! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts