Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mixed it into 4 gallons of 93 octane to make 97. It has a yellow color due to toluene or xylene in it. It also has manganese in solution. I had to call and ask them why and the person said that it acts somewhat like lead used to in gas. This stuff is metered out in 2 oz increments and I had to search around for something to meter it with. I found a marinade injector at the store and It worked fine. I suggested to Race Gas that it would be handy if they packaged a 2 oz metering gadget with this stuff and they said they looked into it and decided it was somewhat cost prohibitive.

So. Whats it doing? The most immediate thing I noticed is that with no adjustment whatsoever to the engine, my idle went up for around 200 rpms. I had to re-adjust it after I got this stuff into the tank and running. Engine cranks a bit better and it runs better cold until the engine has time to warm up. Stuff like this is not so much about power although it could be making bit more power. It is more about tuning the fuel octane to match what the engine likes and needs which is just my opinion. My engine was ok on 93 but I had suspected that 93 was on the verge of being a bit low based on how its built. I plan to continue to use it at 97. Not harmful to O2 sensors.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
997 Posts
How about more on the engine..I was told not to mix race gas with unleaded it just don’t work like you would think..

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am assuming you have 11:1 or greater to need teh extra Octane. If so, then keep advancing the distributor a couple of degrees till you hear a ping under heavy load then back off till it stops. Then you are good for that exact mixture of race gas. IF you are less than 11:1 its likely not going to help at all.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Helps if you're boosted. I got some in a turbo car once by mistake. In CA where 91 is as good as it gets at the pump, the
computer limits what the engine will make because it pulls timing and boost on lesser grade fuel. 2 pounds more boost
equals a bunch of hp and mileage.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I bet its easy to get hooked on that stuff. Is that less than buying barrels of Sunoco?
Without googling then acting smart about it I don't think its the octane itself that made your idle go up. Ethanol blending can raise octane but not make more power. One of those additives is acting as an oxygenate (maybe an octane booster simultaneously). If so then i think you need to richen it up.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I mixed it into 4 gallons of 93 octane to make 97. It has a yellow color due to toluene or xylene in it. It also has manganese in solution. I had to call and ask them why and the person said that it acts somewhat like lead used to in gas. This stuff is metered out in 2 oz increments and I had to search around for something to meter it with. I found a marinade injector at the store and It worked fine. I suggested to Race Gas that it would be handy if they packaged a 2 oz metering gadget with this stuff and they said they looked into it and decided it was somewhat cost prohibitive.

So. Whats it doing? The most immediate thing I noticed is that with no adjustment whatsoever to the engine, my idle went up for around 200 rpms. I had to re-adjust it after I got this stuff into the tank and running. Engine cranks a bit better and it runs better cold until the engine has time to warm up. Stuff like this is not so much about power although it could be making bit more power. It is more about tuning the fuel octane to match what the engine likes and needs which is just my opinion. My engine was ok on 93 but I had suspected that 93 was on the verge of being a bit low based on how its built. I plan to continue to use it at 97. Not harmful to O2 sensors.
Sounds like it is doing what you hoped it would. For me, the real test would be to see how much more timing it will tolerate. If it does then it is making more power and you likely needed the increase. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This stuff is metered out in 2 oz increments and I had to search around for something to meter it with.
Check out a Ratio Rite cup. You can use it for ratios or absolute measurements. I used them when I raced shifter karts, no problem with high end race fuels damaging it.

How about more on the engine..I was told not to mix race gas with unleaded it just don’t work like you would think..
He’s using Race Gas brand octane booster.
You can mix unleaded race fuel and unleaded fuel but not leaded and unleaded fuel. Give the unknown quality of some pump gas I’d mix only known good quality fuel. Sunoco has a blurb about mixing fuel on their site.
I bet its easy to get hooked on that stuff. Is that less than buying barrels of Sunoco?
Depends. If you use a lot and and need to mix it to get 100 octane or better it’s cheaper to buy a bulk drum of 260GT if you can get it locally. If you need the drum shipped no way. We can get 260GT at the pump here at several stations. The pump race gas at 100 octane a gallon at a time is about a buck more a gallon than using the mix and just a shade cheaper than using the mix if you get a drum at the depot. If you can get 5 gal pails retail that’s way more than mixing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am assuming you have 11:1 or greater to need teh extra Octane. If so, then keep advancing the distributor a couple of degrees till you hear a ping under heavy load then back off till it stops. Then you are good for that exact mixture of race gas. IF you are less than 11:1 its likely not going to help at all.
Depends more on the dynamic compression ratio sometimes rather than the static ratio. A cheaper option may be E85 for fuel but then you need a different carb and pump.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,650 Posts
I hope you don't mind I changed the thread title. It REALLY wasn't clear that you are checking out an octane booster type additive and not sitting around mixing actual racing fuel with gas station unleaded.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Curious as others here are about the engine's fuel requirements. Octane levels higher than actually required will kill power as it slows the burn rate.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I've gone to Home Depot, bought a gallon of xylene and dumped it into half full gas tank. It worked really well on a turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I've gone to Home Depot, bought a gallon of xylene and dumped it into half full gas tank. It worked really well on a turbocharged engine.
LOL, its either that or the toluene that some people use on their tires to revive them. Better Hot Rodding via the hardware store!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I've used Toluene and Acetone too.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dynamic compression on this thing is only 8.29:1 but I'm running iron heads. Supposedly, 8.5:1 is around the upper limit for 93 octane but is that aluminium heads or iron heads? I couldn't find that answer anywhere. If anybody can explain my idle increase feel free to postulate a theory because I have no idea.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So in my 67 Chevelle I run a mix of Sunoco 110 and Non ethanol 91. The engine is a Dart Merlin 540 11.5-1 comp. No issues running this blend of gas.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
So in my 67 Chevelle I run a mix of Sunoco 110 and Non ethanol 91. The engine is a Dart Merlin 540 11.5-1 comp. No issues running this blend of gas.
Nice. (y) The recommendation not to blend unleaded and leaded is to prevent damage to the emissions systems particularly the cat. I’d reckon there’s no cat on your ride. :unsure: ? I wish I had a better source of non ethanol fuel. Here it’s a regional chain from Utah that only carries it when the state allows from April through Sept. They only have two stations in southern NV neither of them close to me. I drive mine often enough where storage isn’t an issue though I’d prefer a non ethanol option.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So in my 67 Chevelle I run a mix of Sunoco 110 and Non ethanol 91. The engine is a Dart Merlin 540 11.5-1 comp. No issues running this blend of gas. View attachment 749207
That looks like it would be an exciting ride. What kind of horse pressure do you figure that is producing? I used to run Sunoco purple in the 289 when we had actual, operating drag strips that were close enough to run at but not any more. All closed down. I know I could order it direct from Sunoco by the barrel but I think this Race Gas additive is going to work ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts