Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Motorcraft FL-1A (or something like that) to put in my 67 289. This is the 1st oil change since I've owned the car. While trying to fit it on, the filter was obviously too long. Comparing the old filter with the new, the old one was about 3/4" shorter. With the new one, it hits the bottom of the shock tower before i can thread it.

The FL-1A was definately the right thread.

I tried buying a Fram filter which was a touch shorter but again, no dice. For all I know, the engine may not be original and may not even be a 289. I haven't been able to get under it yet but the Edelbrock intake is says "Performer 289."

The PO mentioned that he'd broken motor mounts in the past (the engine is pretty damn hot). Might this have anything to do with it? I'm starting to get worried here... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,232 Posts
Who made the old oil filter? Sounds like the motor mounts are bad...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I agree, The oil filter should clear fine. Did the PO use some kind of custom motor mounts?

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think the current mounts are 'bad' or simply different? my guess is the guy used custom mounts. the car was butchered into a street racer and a lot of original stuff went out the window. since he did tell me that he'd broken them before and the engine isn't rattling around in the bay, i think the mounts are OK - just custom for some reason.

well, i have long term goals of putting in a new engine but for now, a shorter filter will have to suffice.

boy does this stink!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There is a long and short Ford oil filter. If you still have your old filter, get the part number off it and have the auto parts store cross it into their brand.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
first off..a performer 289 will fit a 302 also..when you removed the old filter are you sure the old gasket came off with it..they can sometimes seperate from the filter and stick to the block..this will add about a 1/4 inch to overall length..check the old filter and make sure the rubber gasket is attached..if not it is still attached to your block...next try getting a shorter oil filter..they are available..any brand for any car manufacturer will fit as long as the gasket is the same size. As a last option..and I mean last..unbolt a mount and jack the engine about an inch or so..this should give you enough clearance to thread a filter on..my guess is he changed to different mounts and the entire block sits lower in the frame

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

G

·
thanks everyone for your replies. i have to say though, you're all wrong and thank th lord above that you are. the truth is, i am a moron :) - when trying to install the filter, i was working totally in the dark. i was trying to get the filter in by fumbling around. little did i know, there is an oil cooler on my car... yeah - dumb. like i sid, i've had the car a month and a day and all my work so far has been suspension :)

i'm happy to report the only thing wrong with my car is the owner...

wow i'm embarassed! don't tell anyone i have a degree in mechanical engineering and i work for nasa! i think it's time to invest in a shop-light :)

-aaron

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Engineering degree, fumbling around in the dark, work for NASA. Sounds like a typical gov. or defense worker. Hehe

19 yrs. working with missiles and satellites and have seen nothing but this type of work.

69 Grande
2000 GT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts