Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the replys to my post earlier. I was getting ready to pull the axles, and my father in law mentioned I should check for missing driveshaft weights and make sure the universal joints weren't loose before resorting to something so drastic. Well, I crawl under the car and sure enough I see that the rear universal had moved, so that one of the caps was sticking out slightly (instead of being against the lip on the pinion to keep it in place). As a result the whole u-joint had slid to the side. I loosened up the ubolts and put everything back where it went, and fired it up. The vibration was gone! I don't know how it managed to move, but that was definately the problem. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it moves again. Thanks for the help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Ya might think about replacing the joint at the first opportunity, better to be safe than sorry...

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sad thing is it's a new U-joint (less than 500 miles on it), and new u-bolts/nuts as well. I'd like the u-bolts to be a little longer, since only a round or two of thread sticks out the back of the nuts. The rear is from a truck, and apparently the truck pinion is thicker and so you need longer u-bolts. I've check around all the local parts places, and the best advice I've gotten is to go search the boneyards and try to find some originals in decent shape. DOH! Does somebody make performance u-bolts? Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Wether the u bolt sticks out 3 threads or thirty it is still holding the same. You are ok as long as the nut has a full bite on the bolt...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I've had excellent customer service from Denny's driveshaft service. Denny himself got on the phone with me while I crawled under the car with the portable phone, and he walked me through measuring my pinion yoke and identifying what I had. I paid extra and supposedly bought the 1350 "large" pinion yoke to go with the largest U-joints for added strength. Got ripped, it was a 1330. He was real good about getting me exactly the parts I need, with a lifetime warranty on the spicer ujoints. If I ever have a failiure, they replace them for free, as long as I own the car. I heartily recommend them.

good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts