Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea of what this might be, but wanted to check with you guys that might know before I go and buy parts for it. For those of you that don't know, I know nothing about cars, so this is my way of figuring this stuff out.

Tires are new and balanced on the front they have about 200 miles on them since new. When turning left I get the "click" type noise on the driver's side front tire area, also at any speed I get some vibration that is very obviously from the same area. One other thing is that when backing up, turing the wheel left, I get a grinding sound from that area.

My thoughts right now are it is: bearings or tie rod end.

So, how did I do?

Thanks,
Tosh

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wheel bearings would account for grinding, but I would think they would grind rolling straight forward as well. The click (or clunk) when turning left could be a tie rod, but could also be a lower or upper ball joint. As a note, when you are driving, everything usually sounds like it coming from the drivers side since that is where you are, and that is the window you are usually listening through. It is hard to tell sides with vibration as well.

I would do some additional diagnosis first, and look at each issue or noise separately. Jack the front end up and spin the front tires by hand. Do you hear or feel grinding? Do the left and right wheels sound different?

For the click, your hand is a very sensitive instrument. See if you can get the noise to repeat itself by turning the wheel while the car is standing still. If so, hold the tie rod with your hand while someone else turns the wheel. If it clicks, you should be able to feel it.

For the vibration, look for irregular tire wear. At only 200 miles, you probably wont see much, but it's worth a shot. Prime suspects are any recently done work. New wheels, brakes, suspension parts, tires, etc. I know a guy with a wheel & tire shop who tells some incredible horror stories about what goes inside the typical shop.

If you post what you find, we can probably do more arm-chair diagnosis from there.

(p.s. - I recently picked up a clunck in my front suspension as well, only while driving and turning. Turns out my coil spring has slipped off the 1" poly spacer I added last winter. You never know what your going to find in the front end.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just one "crack" kind of noise. If I turn right, no noise.

Going to jack up the car now.

Later,
wsgts

G

·
0 Posts
You have grease zerks on the upper and lower ball joints. Grease those to full capacity. It is usually the upper ball joint that runs out of grease first, and will give you a clunking noise when turning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back with results..

No "clunk" when the vehicle is stationary when turning the wheel left or right (thank God for power steering). I sat in the garage a couple minutes and turn it all the way left and all the way right, then zig-zagged in between both extremes, no "clunk" anywhere.

Right now, I am thinking pull the bearing and have a look at them. Will let ya'll know how that goes.

Later,
wsgts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will update tomorrow on this. The Outer wheel bearings were ok, but they could use a repacking, haven't pulled the dust cover for the inner ones yet as the wife stopped me to go get some BBQ (gotta hate that). Anyway, if it's not the inner wheel bearing, I will be looking at the ball joint.

Later,
wsgts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts