Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the last year or so, I've had my styled steel wheels balanced and rebalanced ( on the car ), new u joints, driveshaft balanced, new axle bearings, etc.. etc. Yesterday, I finally got around to the TRANSMISSION MOUNT....Man, it's a miracle...smoooothh. Almost like a new car.......hope and perseverence can overcome your problems.
Thanks to all who offered help and advice.

OK, so, let's see.....what's next on the list?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
what sort of vibration were you getting? Was it constant, progressivly worse, or come and go at different speeds? What speeds did you notice the problem? There are a lot of mustang people what have vibration problems, it would be nice to know a bit more about the symptoms a transmission mount fixed.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I did the same thing - Including an aluminum driveline! A transmission mount made the problem sincerely better. The best $19.99 I've ever spent for sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorhead....all of the fixes I referred to made incremental improvements to the overall driveability. Each "achievement" made it a different car. But, there remained a harshness in the drivetrain. I think it may be described as a cyclic vibration or like a droning or thrumming sound. It seemed to be rear drivetrain related.

The transmission mount replacement was a breakthrough. When I compared the old and new mount on the bench, there was a marked difference in the thickness or height of the rubber and the new one had much more "give". The car really is remarkably smooth , now.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This sounds like something I might need to do. My car usually vibrates at idle or in reverse. How hard was is to install? Where did you get the mount?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I went to almost the exact procedure a few years ago. The vibration was very bad and I tried almost everything (balancing, U-joints etc etc). Then I got a tip from someone to change the transmission mount. The old one still looked good and wasn't hardened. The only difference I could see was the height. After the first testdrive it was driving a new car!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PITA....remove the nuts from the bolts through the crossmember, using a flat piece of plywood to protect the trans pan, use a floor jack to raise the transmission. Use patience to remove and replace the mount. Check with National Parts Depot or Mustangs Unlimited to start.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow--I just did this this weekend (replaced the Xmember insulator). I was really getting discouraged about my vibration problem, thinking I had a bent frame or something else terminal. But, I went to Autozone, got an insulator for $9.00, changed it out in about 20 minutes, and the vibration was GONE!. Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Great tip ! I'm having my tires swapped this weekend...I'm told they are out of round, and that that in addition to a loose idler arm are the cause of my front end vibrations....

If that does not do it I'll try the tranny mount. Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got to second the idea of the transmission mount. I went through many different things trying to track down vibration, but the transmission mount definitely fixed a good majority of it. The only vibration I get now is those aerodynamic ones up around the 100mph range....

Dave

·
Registered
981 Posts
it could be possible that a sagging mount would throw off your pinion angle

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, went through all the steps trying to track down my vibration, (most pronounced at about 60 mph... kind of a thrumming). Someone finally suggested the transmission mount insulator and what a difference!!! One of the best things I have done on my '65. The rubber was so gone that it was metal to metal so all vibrations were going straight into the frame! I can only imagine what the rubber in the motor mounts look like; sometime I will get to them also. Glad u found it out. I spread this one to anyone I talk to w/ a vintage Mustang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts