Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I swapped a 500 cfm Edelbrock Performer (electric choke, PN 1403) for a 625 cfm Road Demon on my kids' '65 C code fb, and it's a completely different car.

When cold I mash the pedal once and it lights right up and does not die. Road Demon: pump four times, crank and catch and die. Pump again, try to keep rpms up with right foot, more often than not die again. Pump again, die again.

The Performer is much crisper, car pulls harder, very little smoke at idle. The RD: flabby, eye-watering fumes at idle. Glad to see it go.

All you out there with stock or mild motors, fighting to get a Holley or Demon to work, give up and come to Edelbrock. Small is better.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
The original Vic Edelbrock came along after World War II. I thought the carb was perfected by some guy named either Carter, or was it Holley.....

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Had a Carter AFB on a 250 hp 327 62 Vette. It originally came with a WCFB but a guy gave me the upscale carb off a 340 hp Vette. It was a trouble free unit. Put it on and drove the car for several years. Was using Carter on Mustangs before the Edelbrock name got put on them. Now, there is no Carter. They were built on the same line, like Dodge Darts and Ply. Valiants. Terrible analogy! :( The 500 cfm is really a good unit. Have always used the hand choke model. A Carter metering rod, jet set will work in the crock. The Carter name is the forerunner.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree. When I swapped out my Holley with a 500 CFM carb it was GREAT!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I've never had a good experience with a Holley carburetor.

Simply stated, if your company has to come out with a SEPARATE PRODUCT LINE to ensure "Streetable right out of the box" then you're doing something very wrong.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I would agree that with most stock/mild street applications, an Edelbrock is a good choice. I've run both 600 & 750 versions with success.

Many people don't have the patience to properly tune a carb if it doesn't work out of the box. The Demon tuning is a bit different than a standard Holley type carb. Lots of reports of rich idle and junk inside, even on a brand new one.

For a high performance application though, the Holley/Demon style is still the preference when seeking peak performance.

Glad to hear the Edelbrock worked out so well for your daughters ride. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I grant for the drag racers out there that the best choice maybe the Holley/Demon/BG, however for the street the smartest move I ever made was to switch to the Edelbrock carbs back in '96.

I've bought a total of 6 Edelbrocks since then. My 351C's have all needed some richening with jet and metering rod changes. What made it so enjoyable was the instruction booklet that Edelbrock includes. It helps you identify the problem and suggests the solution and gives you the part numbers you will need - HOOO-RAH!

From what I've read the big change that has made the Edelbrock so successful over the original AFB is the denser aluminum casting. The early AFB's were prone to mysterious tuning changes because of the vacuum leaks in the porous aluminum housing. The same goes for the Carter carbs - they are the same as the Edelbrocks. As far as I know you can still buy Carters at least I have seen them in the Jegs & Summitt catalogs not to long ago.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I totally agree with you. Changing out my Holley 670 Street Avenger for an Edelborck 500cfm carb made my car actually run a lot smoother. No more bogging down and my gas mileage increased too. I did not notice any drop in my "seat of the pants meter" HP either. It is just a better match for the stock or mildly modified engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts