Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the last of the rust from the hull . In the past few weeks I have been repairing the drip rails with donor pieces . The 2 sides came out good but the drip rails had gotten kinda dinged and bent up in shipping so now that they are on I have some tapping work with a hammer and dolly to work them smooth again .
Yeah , that sucks but atleast there is no rust left .
I have 2 small pieces to weld into the drivers rear corner of the back window frame and Im ready for sandblasting of the hull .
There are 2 pinholes on the rocker panel on the drivers side of the car but those will be delt with after the sand blasting . Ive wire-brushed them out and they are right below the quarter panel seam .

So , I guess after sandblasting I will have to rename it something other than Rustang .

Im hoping before May rolls around and brings the heat that I will have the hull complete again , and I can begin putting it together .

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The amount of work you have performed excising rust from that car is incredible to me... Congratulations!

-Rory

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_653_full.jpg
That was the real "last" piece of rust I cut off . Here it is fixed :
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_656_full.jpg

I did learn something completly too stupid at the very end .............
I had several hard spots to remove bad metal from during the hull's fixin . I kept using a small chisel to cut the spots out , very hard to do without damage to other stuff . Anyway , I removed a small spot on my package tray yesterday to plug in a repair . When I went to chisel it out I thought "Man this is gonna bend the crap out of this " and then I thunk'd for a minute . I turned the Mig up to full blast and "welded" a line across where I wanted the metal cut . Blew the sheet metal right out like a plasma cutter . Sometimes you make yourself feel stupid .....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/488852/38
Thats the rest of the pics from what Ive been tinkering with for weeks .

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I did learn something completly too stupid at the very end .............
I had several hard spots to remove bad metal from during the hull's fixin . I kept using a small chisel to cut the spots out , very hard to do without damage to other stuff . Anyway , I removed a small spot on my package tray yesterday to plug in a repair . When I went to chisel it out I thought "Man this is gonna bend the crap out of this " and then I thunk'd for a minute . I turned the Mig up to full blast and "welded" a line across where I wanted the metal cut . Blew the sheet metal right out like a plasma cutter .
Cool tip, thanks.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
So , I guess after sandblasting I will have to rename it something other than Rustang .
Well....'Dustang' will fit it for awhile after a good sand blasting; up until you paint

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wow, you have some serious vision Chris. Some nice slicing and welding going on down there. I'm sure you can't wait for the maiden voyage.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
That car would qualify as your thesis project for your doctorate degree in welding. Unfriggin believable!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
WOW! It is amazing what you have done to that car. Congrats

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I don't know where people get them, but I've seen little "smiley emoticons" that stick their arms out and bow in amazement.

Picture a whole flock of them bowing down to you right here. :)

Your project and work are simply amazing!

I agree with olddustyrelics you deserve a Ph.D. in welding!

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That was the real "last" piece of rust I cut off . Here it is fixed :
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_656_full.jpg
Sorry, I'm having a hard time seeing the fix. Really nice work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's posts like this that keep me motivated on my own version of a Rustang. I just wish my welding abilities were as good as yours. :(

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Wow! so your going to put the big pieces back on only after its sand blasted?
I still have my 1/4 panel off and i was wondering if i should put it on before or after they sandblast. I was thinking before would be best becouse i would put it on the rotissorie so they can clean the bottem up. But if i put it on then its more space that isnt going to get cleaned. :no:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Chris, will it be done in time for the Nov. 2006 Palm Bay show???? ::

Steve, if you have some surface rust in areas under your quarters, take care of them first. Get one of those little pot blasters and clean it up and then coat it with Rust Encapsulator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts