Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running viking coilovers? Whats your experiance with them? Im looking for mostly height adjustment and if their as good or better than bilstein sport its a plus.

Ive read up on them and most a positive reviews. Made in the usa and by a ex QA1 engineer.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You should buy the Street or Track setup, just my onion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should buy the Street or Track setup, just my onion.
street or track great product i have their whats link, i will like to but don't have the budget.
one thing i did when planning out my build is ask myself what the purpose of the car would be,
what did i came up with? sporty street driving mostly. I will most likely not use the suspension to its full potential,
so i can't justify the coin for a street car with the occasional autocross event.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got them from cpp. Can't comment on ride yet but they are a very nice setup. They do exactly what I was looking for in my application.
nice, I'm looking at the double adjustable version on CPP. What rear shock do you have, I'm not sure if i should keep the bilstein sports. I know QA1 is a quality shock and thats one of the reasons why it lead me to Viking, from what i read their identical but with a different spring design.

whats the fitment like?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I read somewhere that Viking was started by a couple of disgruntled QA1 employees. If so, the quality should be top shelf. I bought QA1's four years ago, and have about ten miles on them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read somewhere that Viking was started by a couple of disgruntled QA1 employees. If so, the quality should be top shelf. I bought QA1's four years ago, and have about ten miles on them.
yes i believe so, it explains why they look exactly like QA1 shocks. The viking site is interesting, they only focus on double adjustable shocks, but believe they now offer single as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fitment was great. Went together very easily. Rears I just have Monroe right now. Haven't decided the direction back there yet.
I've never installed coil-overs before did you need spring compressors? i have bilstein sport valve shock in all 4 corners at the moment, I'm thinking of keeping the rears if i upgrade.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
That's pretty close..... ex-QA1 guys that didn't like certain business practices is the "PC" version
of how it happened. Basically the engineer in question took his "ball" (his patent designs) and left.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have been running the Viking Crusader DA shocks on all 4 corner since the spring, and just a week picked up a set of front coil overs. Very very well made. I will be installing them later this month and will be updating my build thread then. These are going in mt 70 drag car. The adjustment access on both shocks and coil overs is very easy.

I have Opentracker Racing Roller, UCA and LCA's along with Spring perches. The spring perches come out and the bottom of the coil over assembly bolts right to the UCA. The top of the spring sits in the shock tower pocket like stock springs. Both ends of the assembly are roller bearings.

As a side note, I will be selling my current front Viking Crusader shocks that have less than 300 miles and 50 1/4 mile passes.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I wonder how the double adjustable version would do with my Global West setup?
Hard to tell with out spending the bucks....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder how the double adjustable version would do with my Global West setup?
Hard to tell with out spending the bucks....
I can actually answer those questions when i write a review. I have GW upper and lower control arms with rosehill perf adjustive Strut-rods, the uppers have -3 degrees of camber built in so it should be a decent Performer.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I can't comment on the coil overs yet since they are still in the box, however, the viking shocks currently in the car have the same valving and I was very happy with them. Super easy to adjust with definite clicks for each setting so easy to count, and lots of adjust ability.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I can't comment on the coil overs yet since they are still in the box, however, the viking shocks currently in the car have the same valving and I was very happy with them. Super easy to adjust with definite clicks for each setting so easy to count, and lots of adjust ability.
Is it possible that the same shocks can work for drag and road course?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick heads up... I just ordered a pair of front coil overs from CCP( 11/28/16) I spoke with an employee who noted that if you buy the single adjustment shocks...they will ship you the dual adjustment. No additional cost. I guess they are no longer carrying single adjustment. I paid for single adjustment and received the dual adjustment as promised. Might save you a few bucks...if they are still doing it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick heads up... I just ordered a pair of front coil overs from CCP( 11/28/16) I spoke with an employee who noted that if you buy the single adjustment shocks...they will ship you the dual adjustment. No additional cost. I guess they are no longer carrying single adjustment. I paid for single adjustment and received the dual adjustment as promised. Might save you a few bucks...if they are still doing it.
the single they offer is a QA1 shock and its about the same price give or take 30dlls , Viking only offers a double adjustable shock so they can stay competitive and cheaper. My guess is viking is outselling the QA1 so they removed the single since its just not any cheaper then the double. Good to know with shipping mine were 60dlls more, its a nice chuck of change if its true.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes if that are DA ad mentioned. With the viking Crusader ones, you can adjust the rebound and compression independently. 19 compression settings and rebound 22 settings.
Also the valving can be changed for even more tuning.

But remember this is only one part of the chassis setup and everything needs to wok together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts