Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased these Viking Coilovers almost a year ago. As usual life got it the way and I am just now trying to finish up the installation when I ran into a snag.
I don't see any way I am going to be able to get the top of the shock through the upper shock mounting plate (hope I am explaining that correctly).
I don't know if I am a doofus (quite possibly) and missing something. My old shocks of course do slip through the opening so I can bolt them up. I have included some pictures which hopefully better explain what I am talking about. I sent a message out to CPP Performance but have not gotten a response back. I was hoping since a few people on this forum have installed these could give me some guidance.

Upper Shock Mounting Plaate.JPG Plate and Coilover.JPG Shock and plate.jpg

Thanks,

RME

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Take the snap ring off and slide the t-bar out of the bushing. When you go to reinstall the snap ring it will be hard, you will need to use a deep socket to get leverage to push it hard enough to snap back into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
^ That's one way.

These also are Viking..... although a different app.
Un-tighten the large nut at the top, spin the top fixture off, put the shaft into the Mustang's top plate and re-attach the top fixture to the shock's shaft.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
69 Posts
I just installed mine on my 66 a month ago with no issues. They should fit through the mounting bracket just like the originals did.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed mine on my 66 a month ago with no issues. They should fit through the mounting bracket just like the originals did.
That is what I originally thought myself. I was somewhat surprised that mine do not.
I have tried it with the shock actually out of the car and no amount of finagling works.
Somewhat odd.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks GT. I did notice that nut but had not though to un-tighten that nut.
I will give this a go. IMG_1592.JPG
I am still somewhat surprised they did not just have it where you could just slide it through.
I will give this a shot and hopefully get my mustang back on the road.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
That is what I originally thought myself. I was somewhat surprised that mine do not.
I have tried it with the shock actually out of the car and no amount of finagling works.
Somewhat odd.
On the original factory parts, there's a height difference in 65/66 vs 67/68 upper shock mounts.
The original 65/66 are more generous as far as room and are 1/2" taller (at least).
First photo is 65/66. The second one is 67/68.
Because of the angle of the 2nd it's hard to tell but the difference is definitely there.
You may have 67/68 upper mounts. Looks kinda like that in your photos?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: InOverMyHead

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the original factory parts, there's a height difference in 65/66 vs 67/68 upper shock mounts.
The original 65/66 are more generous as far as room and are 1/2" taller (at least).
First photo is 65/66. The second one is 67/68.
Because of the angle of the 2nd it's hard to tell but the difference is definitely there.
You may have 67/68 upper mounts. Looks kinda like that in your photos?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

View attachment 798453

View attachment 798454
My car is a 1968 Mustang.
I believe the upper mounts are 67/68.
Are the mounts interchangeable?
Should I just the order a pair of 65/66 mounts and see if they work?
I only need slightly more space to get it to work.

Thanks,

RME

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I’d probably use the upper mounts intended to be on the car. Hopefully that matches what Viking intends with that shock. The only time you would swap upper mounts is when the shock measurements....... compressed and extended...... might dictate that you need to do so. Not something you just do because you can.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Capt Kent

·
Registered
770 Posts
My ‘65 had just enough room to slip in with weight on front suspension and shock at full extension.

I had a heck of a time getting that snap ring back in place due to bushing being so stiff…won’t do that again.

I believe the mounts were designed to be “universal” so only one SKU.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Konis, which at the time I saw 100.00 a shock as ridiculous. I replaced the KYB, which in my opinion were only rough on the rebound for a short time when new. Shocks aren't the only factor here either.
I have 635lb rate fronts with 175lb rear leaf springs and lowered A-arms.
I don't care what shock you use with this combo, it's still going to be stiff.
I have never used the Viking but was floored at the 850.00 price tag for four shocks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d probably use the upper mounts intended to be on the car. Hopefully that matches what Viking intends with that shock. The only time you would swap upper mounts is when the shock measurements....... compressed and extended...... might dictate that you need to do so. Not something you just do because you can.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Yeah I figured as much.
The bolt for the shocks is 15/16.
The bolt is pretty tight.
I will have to work on getting it off.

Thanks for all the help,

RME

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I have Konis, which at the time I saw 100.00 a shock as ridiculous. I replaced the KYB, which in my opinion were only rough on the rebound for a short time when new. Shocks aren't the only factor here either.
I have 635lb rate fronts with 175lb rear leaf springs and lowered A-arms.
I don't care what shock you use with this combo, it's still going to be stiff.
I have never used the Viking but was floored at the 850.00 price tag for four shocks.
Stiff in the back because you're likely over-sprung.
For a leaf spring setup you're at least 15# past an ideal handling rate back there and about 25# past comfort on a '67.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Capt Kent

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have them on my car and the kit came with upper brackets. I mounted them as shown in the instructions I got. You can see them in this picture.
What kit did you purchase that included the upper brackets?
I really did not receive much of the way of instructions from CPP in regards to installation of the Viking Coilovers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stiff in the back because you're likely over-sprung.
For a leaf spring setup you're at least 15# past an ideal handling rate back there and about 25# past comfort on a '67.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
The springs I have are the Trans Am spec. The rate is quite stiff. In hindsight I would have purchased the 155 for the rear.

Reactions: GT289

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
RME - I have the same CPP kit, I used my factory 67 mounts. Dan's probably didn't come from CPP, I don't think their kits come with upper mounts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RME - I have the same CPP kit, I used my factory 67 mounts. Dan's probably didn't come from CPP, I don't think their kits come with upper mounts.
I would think the 67 and 68 mounts are the same.
I have no idea why my mounts are just not working.
I have not had any trouble with other shocks fitting perfectly.
The length of the Viking T at the top are slightly longer than the shocks I took off and just don't fit through the mount.
Eventually I will get them on and get to enjoy my ride.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
What kit did you purchase that included the upper brackets?
I really did not receive much of the way of instructions from CPP in regards to installation of the Viking Coilovers.
I bought a front and rear suspension from Control Freak. Freakride.com. The brackets look pretty close to stock. Maybe a bit thicker metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts