Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,is it possible to find out the data on a 65 hardtop only with the VIN-number,i dont have the door-tag !!!
thanks Allan

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There's a little you can discern without the warranty plate, but not much. You can tell the body style, interior trim level, engine size and performance level, but not much else. You can extrapolate the build date from the sequence number, too.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Kevin Marti..can do this for you..even get you a report..the price is cheap enough..I recently bought a '70 convert and only had the VIN..I ordered a report from him as well as a door tag..

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

G

·
0 Posts
this info is not available, Kevin has info starting with 1967 and onward.

with the VIN, we only know the year model, which plant the car was built, the bodystyle, the engine type and the consecutive unit number

you cannot ascertain the interior trim from just the VIN.

most times, inspecting your car can fill in some of the missing links. by looking in untouched areas you can determine the original paint color and also the interior color and then reference original paint/interior codes to get the right one. Also, by inspecting the door jamb area for door light wiring holes you can figure out if the car was pony interior or not. Of course, if it's a 65 with the Falcon style gauges you don't need to pursue that. And, if the car was built before February of '65 it couldn't have pony interior either.

The scheduled build date can be estimated by looking at the book, In Search of Mustangs, Production guide Vol 1. This contains VIN's from people that have written in over the years and you can take your VIN and compare it to a VIN close to yours in the book and then 'guess' at a build date.

The transmission can usually be determined by looking at the firewall. No hole means automatic. Gets a little hard between 3 speed and 4 speed though. Of course, if the original trans is in the car, you can easily determine the code. There is a tag on the side which will be date coded.

The rear axle code can be determined the same way as the trans, by checking the tag on the pumpkin. It will have a date code and also will have the ratio stamped in the tag.

The hardest to determine from a missing dataplate is the DSO. Unless you have original documentation on the car or know for a fact where it came from, you have to just take a crapshoot on this one.

hope this helps.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
thanks for letting me know..I just figured he had info for all Mustangs

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts