Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 65 fastback with vin 5F09A723XXX. This car appears to have the original 289
(aftermarket intake and carb though) and 4spd toploader. Someone suggested that since this is an 'A' code car, it's a GT. Is this so? Please reply soon,;I'm planning on buying it tomorrow!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The G.T. option was available only on A code and K code cars. Things to look for are
disc brakes, larger sway bar, A fog light switch in the right place in a factory punched
hole. ect . Before you pay $G.T. dollars for a car have somebody who knows this stuff
look at the car with you. More 65 and 66 G.T.'s were made in the 80's than in the 60's.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimbo. thanks for the info. What I should have asked is if this car is an 'A' code car,does this alone make it a GT, or was the GT option only available on the 'A' code cars?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really think there is that much difference(value wise) in an A code GT or non GT car, isn't it only like 10% of the value? To me, in my experience, any A code 65-66 is relatively rare compared to the many T code and C code conversions which I have seen to 4V status.I wish we had the Ford information for such cars, I would be willing to bet that the majority of A code cars were GT's, and the non GT cars would actually be more rare(although I know rarity does not correspond to $$)PS, about the vin,I don't take it as an insult, and I am sure many others here do not either .The consecutive unit number is meaningless for the most part, unless you are compiling a record of such.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr. Turner, forgive me if you had taken my concern for the privacy of another as an insult. I have not yet purchased this car, but once I do, I can assure you that revealing the vin of the vehicle will be of little consequence to me. As a new poster to this bb, I hope to learn a lot about this great car, and I'll certainly do my best not to insult others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have bought many mustangs, and the one thing that has always stuck with me was this..."buy the car you like, not the one your friends like, not the one you think will be worth more,but the one YOU like!" Anything more like a g.t. or hi-po or any other option is just icing on the cake. And if those things aren't there, then you still have the car you like!
best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts