Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place where I can get a vehicle history and possible PO's. Would like to see if I can find anyone that possibly had the build sheet etc before I bought the car. Searched forum and a google, but most want 17 characters and a lot of $. Car now registered in MN, but came from IN.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The 17 characters is a problem for any tracking service like Autocheck. Maybe the Marti service or the state's DMV can help.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Working your way backwards through previous owners is a possibility too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jay_H_237 said:
Working your way backwards through previous owners is a possibility too.
I tried tracking that back, and the guy I boght the car from did not have any of that previous contact information, so fell flat before even getting started. I think the person that did the restoration is where the PO bought it, and they seemed to do a pretty good job and probably recognized the value of the build sheet, which is what I am hoping happened and the guy maybe kept it for future reference (if they even found it)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
i got my vin history - back to the MSO - from a cop friend. he ran my vin and got me copies of all titles (front and back) and that gave a pretty darn good idea of the complete history :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
64D_Code said:
i got my vin history - back to the MSO - from a cop friend. he ran my vin and got me copies of all titles (front and back) and that gave a pretty darn good idea of the complete history :)
Now there is something I never thought about. My brother is a sgt on the police force. I'll check to see what their policy is.

G

·
0 Posts
Had a copy of the MSO for a '65 fastback I used to own. NC DMV gave it to me as part of the title history search.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a response from the MN DMV. They told me they could give me a history of who owned the car in MN only for $10. I know that I am the only one in MN when I registered the car, and I know that it came from IN. They went on to say that any information on who the previous owners are would have to be blanked out due to privacy issues, and if I wanted any other information I would have to go to the previous state.

Not sure these folks have a real grasp of reality

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you saying that they will only give you information about MN registrations but will black out the prev owners name. It's the name that you are looking for or did I misunderstand your post. I too would like MN info on my car.

I was told on good authority that this privacy thing all started when someone was at an abortion clinic and the general public was able to access addresses from license plates and later protest the abortion on the sidewalk in front of their homes. Then violence etc. Then along came this Fed Privacy Act.

Exceptions to title tracing were given to insurance companies and law enforcement on a very strict need to know basis only for real investigations not just simply police officer inquiring.

I have actually seen the avidavit they are required to use to request the title search. In fact I did have a copy. Then I am sure there is a penalty for deseminating this information to a hobbiest. Slippery slope in some states.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
poboy427

You got it right. They would give out no information other than where they are registered. Beats me how you would track anything without the info.

The policy on the net said they would only give information to certain types of people and types, including toll road operators (none in the state) law enforcement, insurance companies(even if they paid for a category of info for mailing lists), but nothing to help the common Joe.

The data privacy started with the Hillary presidency when they created HIPA. That is where two doctors could not exchange information via things like Palm Pilots (which was commom) to know about patients during shift changes. Too overeaching too often.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I work daily under HIPA restictions. But the license/title deal went back to before 1998 because that was when I bought my Shelby and first had the doors of DMV shut in my face.

All the HIPA excitement came to our office around 2003 and that was, to the best of my knowledge, privacy as it relates to medical records and the need to be specific about what medical records you are requesting and the length of time the release of information was good for before it expires.

Moot point as it just sucks for car guys with good intentions.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm feeling like a dunce...what the heck is MSO?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks Charles! I suspected that from the context. Didn't want to ASSume.
Now my question is did that tracking back to MSO involve titles in multiple states?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
slim said:
Thanks Charles! I suspected that from the context. Didn't want to ASSume.
Now my question is did that tracking back to MSO involve titles in multiple states?

mine did - but it was just georgia and florida

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
(Not directed at 64D code)

If someone really wanted to know the history of thier vehicle I wonder if a private detective would get the info (be allowed) from the DMV, although I don't know what it would cost for a PI to do this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a 66 vert. from a neighbor in Fl. He bought the car from a person in Ga. Heres the kicker, the cars dso is N. Carolina. The car had the orig. owners manual with the orig. owners name and U.S. Auto Club insurance policy number written on it. The car had 41K orig. miles on it. :p I almost forgot to mention this, I'm the 4th owner .

·
Registered
326 Posts
i'm the 11th owner of ours and its dso was oklahoma cite okla./then to n.dacoata,wisconsin I wrote to all the state and they sent me the history but backed out ,but i could stell read through the back out and talked with everone but thr org, owner about my 'stang

jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts