Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 fastback that's cloned to GT-350. Of late I've determined a possible bogus VIN. The VIN starts "6G07A....". It's been legally registered under this VIN for at least 25 years. I've recently learned that the second alpha-numeral should be an "F" or an "R" or a "T", and 07 stands for "coup" not "fastback". The G and 07 should not be there. Does anyone no anything about such matters?

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Are you getting the VIN from a door tag, driver or passenger side apron under the hood? A typo could be a problem, particularly if trying to sell the car, but in most U.S. states there is no title required for sale for vehicles over 25 years or so. Not sure about Canada.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
The "G" assembly plant was in Chicago and made some Falcons. If the VIN stamping you're looking at is on a front fender apron you may have a "Falconstang". :oops:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
You really want to take the time and effort to loosen both fenders and look at the 3 apron stamps. Can you post photos of them and the door tag? Look around on the car for some of those little date stamps on brackets, aprons, rockers etc. do they match up with 2 to 6 weeks before the build date of the door tag and vin number research?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Ya, is that on the title or the car? If its both let sleeping dogs lie.
The F-G can be a simple fat finger mistake on the registration. If the fender stamps have a 7 you can charge more upon selling for the miss stamp anomaly.:)

How cool would it be to have a real GT350 thats had another front clip added

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I run across a LOT of registration errors in Ontario. Almost all are simple miskeying/misreading. Never an error as large as the error you have.

If you are close to London I would love to inspect your car to see if I can figure out why you have this error. If we can make sense of the error I can provide you with the paperwork to get the MTO to fix it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree with geicoman58: loosen the fenders and verify all three inner fender VIN stamps. You might find a hidden VIN stamp that makes more sense. If they're all weird, then you can't really do anything. I have no idea how Canada handles VIN irregularities like this. My best guess is that someone with a wrecked fastback used a 66 Falcon front-end for a "clip job" back in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, it's also possible that a crook welded in Falcon VINs to "launder" a stolen car.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,300 Posts
Vin plates?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Photo of drivers door tag. Also you can see 1 vin stamp on top of drivers fender apron. Just lift hood and look down the driver side fender for the vin

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,300 Posts
Isn't the door tag near worthless as they can be easily swapped and even new, custom ones bought?

Reactions: 69DroptopGT

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There is not a vin plate on 1966 as far as I remember. Only plate is door warranty tag (not for title or registration purposes) and then the stamped in vins. The door plate means absolutely nothing and are known to be miss stamped. Vins are stamped in on car. You need to remove fenders. Does the vin on title second digit have the G too? That would definitely be wrong. As others said take a picture of what you are calling vin

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Oh they did have buck tags in Dearborn and Metuchen plants but we don't know where your mustang was built as vin appears to be wrong. If only a door tag, it may have been screwed up from day one or someone may have swapped it. Your fender vins are best choice.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
You don't usually have to take the fenders completely off...the driver side has it stamped in one visible place, and possibly one place covered by the overlap, and the passenger side has one place covered by the overlap. Just loosen the top edges of the fenders and pull that back and hold it while a partner photos the stamped numbers. If the door tag matches the number you already gave, and the other stamped numbers do as well, you have yourself a horse of a different color, for sure.... something of a Pegasus.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You might be able to go on the backside of the fender aprons from underneath and get a photo of the VIN stamping under the fenders. On my '66 GT-350 I had to behind the fender aprons to get the Ford number that was underneath the Shelby VIN plate so I could send the Ford number in to verify it was a real GT-350. I knew it was real but the GT-350 registry wanted the Ford VIN to verify it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so the car is part coupe and part fastback. I've asked Ford whether Mustangs were built in Illinois, and was told that no records are available regarding VINs, or whether Illinois built any Mustangs. However, I've learned that in '66 Ford was selling Mustangs as fast as they could build them and they were not keeping up with demand. There was a plan to increase production by adding assembly lines to designated plants. However with the '67 arrival of Cameros and Firebirds, demand dropped and there was no need to add any assembly lines. Ford does not know whether any designated plant developed an additional assembly line that may have produced a test prototype. This might become an interesting Mustang lore legend.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OK, so the car is part coupe and part fastback. I've asked Ford whether Mustangs were built in Illinois, and was told that no records are available regarding VINs, or whether Illinois built any Mustangs. However, I've learned that in '66 Ford was selling Mustangs as fast as they could build them and they were not keeping up with demand. There was a plan to increase production by adding assembly lines to designated plants. However with the '67 arrival of Cameros and Firebirds, demand dropped and there was no need to add any assembly lines. Ford does not know whether any designated plant developed an additional assembly line that may have produced a test prototype. This might become an interesting Mustang lore legend.
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or it did not happen

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I have to highly doubt that, but either way this thread is worthless without pics.
+1....post a picture of the apron stamp and car, it wouldn’t be the first coupe to Fastback conversion. With pictures of vin stamp, many knowledgeable people here can provide feedback.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts