Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a old mustang that was rusted out and the guy that did welding had to weld on a whole new front end from another car.The fender aprons where the vin numbers are do not match up with the with the vin number on the dash and the data plate because they came from a different car.Does anybody know a tool that you can get to put vin numbers in or would you have to go to a machine shop for that.Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
On cars 68 and newer the only legal VIN is the one on the dash. I'm not sure if you are going to find anyone who can stamp a convincing looking VIN in your fender aprons and be legal.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
You could get a number punch set from an industrial supply house such as www.mcmaster.com, but like Ronstang noted, it won't look the same as factory. Best bet is to either leave it as-is, or fill the numbers in with weld and grind down smooth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks guy's I will probably just sand it with some mud, nobody would know in less they took the fender off since I can't get it to look like a ford original stamp and thanks Dan66 I kind of new what a VIN number stands for but thanks anyways.Is it true that every 390 car came with rap around shock towers like the bosses and cobrajets.Dave

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
390 cars did NOT come with wraparound shock tower bracing. IIRC the standard bracing was welded to the shock tower unlike the small blocks.

You can buy a punch set on Ebay that will stamp a convincing VIN into the inner fender. You can even get a little star stamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts