Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me exactly where to look on my block to verify it is a "numbers matching" to the car block? Thanks very much,

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your block is stamped (not all K codes were) the number would be along the passenger side of the block towards the front of the car. Kevin

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey, Kevin

I have been told that all Shelby GT 350 (K-code) engines had their VIN on the block.

My does not have the VIN on the block. All PO's said that the engine was not changed out.

Do you (or other VMFers) have any documentation on this subject?

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can't really speak with authority on Shelby's. It's my understanding too that all Shelby's (including 65's) had their VIN's stamped on the block.

As far as K code Mustangs, I believe Tony Gregory's book "The High Performance 289 Mustang" references not all blocks were stamped. I did get lucky to have mine stamped.

I'm sure we'll get some responses from other knowledgable folks. Kevin

·
Registered
455 Posts
It is interesting how the theory of k-engine vin numbers is played out. First of all, no records exist. Rods and caps and hipo heads can be acquired and placed in standard blocks and a hipo engine can be claimed. I have acquired the rods, caps and heads and have put them in a standard 289 block and I have a hipo engine for all practical purposes. I have heard a lot of theories on hipo blocks. The original block was just that, I am assuming. For some reason it was picked, marked with orange dab of paint, and I believe stamped with the vin # of the k-car it was going into. This I do know for a fact. The five k-cars that I know beyond a doubt had their original engines all had the vin numbers stamped in the block in the same place. Passenger's side just above the oil pan right at the front of the block. To those who say some were not stamped, I ask how do you know?
jazzbo

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
"To those who say some were not stamped, I ask how do you know?"

Here is a quote from Bob Mannel's book:

"Many of the HiPo blocks were stamped with the vehicle's serial number near the oil pan along the front right side-"

The obvious implication is that some were not.

That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You prove my point, exactly. "As long as we deal with obvious implications" we will never know. I would ask Bob Mannel if he knows for sure some were not stamped. In fact, the last time I talked to him I wished I would have thought of this. We know for a fact that some k-code engines were stamped with the vin #. Is there proof positve that some were not. I will accept the fact that some were not stamped if there is proof and just not obvious implied conjecture. I believe, like anything with human participation, some were not stamped by accident. How many, who knows?
jazzbo

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have an absolute VIRGIN hipo motor sitting on an engine stand in my garage. I just pulled it from a K GT fastback. It DOES NOT have the vin stamped on it. I have the orange paint marks on the following: flywheel, rear of block behind flywheel, every rod beam, most, if not all crank balances, and the main bearing caps. The heads on this car are within a day of each other, the date is stamped on the small pad by the timing cover. I looked all over to find the VIN, and could not find it. I have to say, this is the most satisfying moment playing with Mustangs,...to have this untouched motor in my posession.
I will keep looking for a vin, but I have not found it.

I will have complete pictures on the details soon.

Rob

·
Registered
757 Posts
Vin's were not stamped on all blocks, I would check the date codes of all of the parts to see if they "mesh". The block date is above and behind the starter, the head dates are inside the rocker cover. There should be a stamped date on a small pad near the timing pointer. You may have to degrease it to read. This date is the engine build date, and will be later than the casting date of the block.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
"I will accept the fact that some were not stamped if there is proof and just not obvious implied conjecture. I believe, like anything with human participation, some were not stamped by accident".

Well, that certainly clears that up!

·
Registered
455 Posts
boss1
buff the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side.
Buff from the front of the block back for about four inches and about an inch wide. I found one this way that was barely visible. Couldn' see it at all until you went to bare casting. A lazy stamper, here? I couldn't agree with you more on the satisfaction angle regarding an unmolested hipo engine. Especially when you can find the number on the block. I guess they call that "the mystic involvement" as far as mustangs go.
jazzbo

·
Registered
757 Posts
OK, I just went out and cleaned the block some more, and..........it IS stamped with the VIN number. This motor is going in a different car anyway...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey Joe,

The engine I have is going in the Shelby, everyone thought was fake. I am from Madison, I see you are in Milwaukee.

Rob

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think we had better go back and ask the question "Why was the blocked stamped in the first place?" and when did it become unimportant to the point where it became a random stamping or none at all. This is my point. I have never heard of a positive policy by Ford Motor Co. concerning the history of the k-code block stamping in any of the history of k-code production. If one exists, I would welcome the information. Perhaps Tony could help me out here. By the way, I referred to human error in perhaps not stamping a block in the same way body vin numbers have been missing,etc. etc. It could explain an engine that was original to the car not having a vin # stamped on it.
jazzbo

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Almost everyone. I think I conceded it was legit. Just over priced.

Anyway, congrats. Looks like you've been busy. Shelbys and K codes. You really did have deep pockets! *G* I look forward to the pics when you're done.

I am in Milwaukie. Oregon that is.

Good luck and have fun with your project.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Service hipo's would not have a vin

I don't know and I am just asking if that would explain why some don't have a vin

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Just this past Sunday I was at a friend's shop. There on a stand was the original 289 out of his '65 GT-350 (he races it with a replacement SVO block)....I took some time looking it over and YES, the VIN is on the block, right above the oil pan on passenger side....

I can't say if this is true for all Shelbys.... Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
To all of the above;I am no expert but "K" cars had the VIN #'s stamped on the block and transmission from the factory. I have one in my garage with both.This is how they would keep up with the limited warranty. Service blocks and complete hipo engines could be purchased from dealers. If they never blew up Ford would not have needed to make service parts and engines.This explains correctly marked blocks. In my opinion if it has not got the VIN stamped on it it is not the orginal factory block for that car! Someone trying to sell you a "K" car with out a VIN stamped block will tell that not all were stamped. Until some one comes up with a document from Ford that says something different this is the standard I will use. You do what you want to. Some expert out in Mustang land will disagree with me, show me the document, then I will admit I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts