Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vin tag on my '69 meuchen(sp) is attached with pop rivets. Is that correct?

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Standard "Pop-rivets" ARE NOT original on the Door Data "VIN warranty plates". The correct "flower" type "push-in" rivets are available at any mustang supplier like NPD or Mustangs Unlimited....The cost ranges from 89 cents each to $2.00 each... The rivets come with a bubble rounded center... All you do is put them in by hand and then slowly push in the center with a round object of the same diameter.. I like to use the reverse end of a drill bit works best I have found while tapping on the drill end side with a small hammer or rubber mallot. Looks factory!
The only plates that I know of that use conventional standard "Pop-rivets" are Shelby specific VIN plates underhood and maybe certain Shelby tags on the door such as '68 to '70 "Custom Crafted by Shelby American" black plates which usually mount below the Ford factory VIN Warranty plate which is what we are discussing here. All Ford factory warranty plates for the 1964.5 thru 1969 mustang use the flower type "push-in" rivets. The MCA judges can verify this..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ford factory VIN Warranty plate which is what we are discussing here.
The question actually was asked about the VIN TAG not the waranty tag??? And this rivet looks closely too a standard rivet EXCEPT it has three tiny cutouts to the edges, making it unique, Kevin Marti suppies them??? :deadhorse:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Ford used both standard poprivets and star type rivets on the VIN tag. I'm not sure of the cut-off date in 1969 when they switched to the star type. You can see that using a standard poprivet makes it easy to move the VIN over to another car....

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Have to strongly disagree... I've never seen a standard pop-rivet used on a original VIN Warranty Door Data plate.... Usually if you see this it means that the door was swapped out, the codes or car are bogus or the original Warranty Plate was somehow lost or removed.. As far as I know, ALL 1964 thru 1969 Mustangs have the flower type push-in rivet on the Door Data Plate Vin tag.. Ford even continued into the 70's to use this rivet on weight tags such as on the 1972 Bronco tag that I've linked below..I've never seen otherwise on a original car..on a Mustang that is.. Charles, Jeff, Where are you???lol...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/NEFaurora/72broncowarrantytag.jpg

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
VIN tag = dash
Data Plate (Warranty) tag = door

Two different items, two different fasteners.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Yes, Sometimes this can get confusing since '64-'67 cars didn't use actual VIN dash tags until '68.. If you are talking about '68 and later VIN tags located driver's side winshield, pass. side on 68's... then I would say "YES" they were held in by the standard Pop-rivet... Sorry for the confusuion, but the person who posed the question did not specify "Winshield VIN tag"...as you can see to the easy confusion...

Thanks,

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
NEFaurora said:
............If you are talking about '68 and later VIN tags located driver's side winshield, pass. side on 68's... then I would say "YES" they were held in by the standard Pop-rivet...........

Nope

Sorry no clear picture (due to the mounting location) but here is some typical 69-70 mounting rivets. The "flower" rivets show up on EB** every once in a while (have purchased them there before) and not sure if Kevin handles them

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Thanks for correcting Jeff... I believe that they are also smaller than regular pop-rivets also..If I remember correctly... I sold my '68-'70 Falcons quite some time ago, so it was hard for me to remember.. It pays to have an MCA judge around.. but I would assume if you used a standard small pop-rivet, Not many would notice such as your average Joe..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

1 - 13 of 13 Posts