Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Some of you may remember part of this from earlier posts. Ford stamped the incorrect VIN on my car's sheet metal, but the "correct" VIN on the door tag. :-(

The visible VIN in the engine compartment is the following: 5R07A211672, the car is now in the body shop so I've been able to check the hidden VINs as well, both the driver's side and the passenger's side VINs are identical. Now the problem, the door tag has the following: 5R08A211672. The only difference is the door indicates it is a convert (which it is - and was from the factory), while all the engine compartment VINs have a "coupe" digits (07) in the VIN. Now the problem, the title used the door VIN. Should I point this out to the state? Should I have the engine compartment VINs "corrected"? Or should I just ignore it, and enjoy the car (what I'm planning to do, unless it will cause a problem.)

I've owned the car since about 1978. Given the extensive body work that is being done to repair the car from this month's accident I can safely say that I have inspected the car from the inside out and it has always been a convert, and it has not been patched together from multiple cars (although between 1965 and 1978 it apparently had a VERY hard life - rust and a significant accident).

John Harvey

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If it were mine, I think I'd contact the state and correct the title to what it says on the fender. Door tags mean exactly squat to anyone except to Ford during the warranty period (I think we can safely say the car is out of warranty now /forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

Under normal circumstances, you'd never have a problem. BUT Under "other than normal" circumstances, I can see LOTS of problems. For example:

1) You get pulled over and a cop checks your VIN. The cop is going to check the VIN on the fender. When it doesn't match the title, it looks like a stolen car, and your car is now being impounded because you had a brake light out.

2) Your state starts (or re-starts in the case of California) SMOG inspections. You pull into the station, and they refuse to SMOG the car because the VIN doesn't match the registration (been there, done that).

3) Your car gets stolen and recovered. You never find out about the recovery though, because there's no record of the correct VIN being registered. It sits at the police impound for a while, then gets auctioned as an abandoned vehicle.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't thought of those outcomes. I guess I'll call the DMV and ask what I need to do to get it corrected.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree with JohnPro, although I doubt they'd impound your car for a single-character mistake on your registration.

I would try to get a corrected title that reflects the "real" VIN - that is the one on the fender apron. I know that VIN is not correct for your body style, but if you document the factory screw up thoroughly, it probably won't impact your car's value.

Again, I'd try to get the car's paperwork consistent with its VIN rather than the warranty plate on the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts