Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
You cut out a rectangular piece of the fender apron (not the shock tower) where the VIN is located and weld it into your new fender apron. This is perfectly legal to do.

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
Mine wasn't stamped in the shock tower per se, but an overlapping apron that had seen a day of collision and been beaten (more/less) back into shape. I had no qualms about cutting out the vin and transferring it to the new apron. If you do it right it's pretty much unnoticeable to all but those looking for evidence of it. Decent welding skills are a plus.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
What am I missing here ? You can replace the shock tower without disturbing the VIN, right ?

Z

Yes, unless you cut all the way to the VIN I suppose. :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
69-70 have the vins on the shock tower. i have an idea. when replacing the aprons on the 65-68 take b 4 fotos of the bad apron(s). the take fotos of the car with the apron(s) renoved. then take fotos of the car with the new apron(s) installed. ALWAYS keep the old aprons with the vin.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
No chit!

To the OP, be aware that laws vary state to state on this issue. I recommend you contact your state's Auto Theft Task Force and ask them what you can do on this issue legally. They're the people that enforce VIN issues. Contrary to what some people may tell you, they will not come to your home and seize your car or open an investigation on you just because you asked a question. Two other VMF members followed this advice with the same issue and said they got sound advice from their state's Auto Theft Task Force. Part of law enforcement's job is education.

But be aware if you choose to cut out and weld back in the VIN you may be risking getting your car seized. No matter how good of a job you might do welding the VIN back in, it can be detected. Here in Colorado there were two owners of rare and valuable classic muscle cars (1967 Shelby GT-500 and a big block 60's Camaro) that ended up getting their cars seized because their VIN's had been messed with. Both cars sat in storage (on their owners' dime) while things investigated. Both were returned to their owners after a lengthy period of time with state issued VIN tags.

I replaced every piece of sheetmetal on my car from the firewall forward. As such I wiped out my two hidden VINs. All I had left was the original dash VIN (my car is a 1970). My state's Auto Theft Task Force told me not to restamp the hidden VINs and to document my work and why the metal was replaced.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
Judging from the OP's previous posts, he has a '67 390. Unless the inner fender is NG he should be able to R&R the shock tower w/o disturbing the VIN area of the inner fender.

Some photos would help clarify.

Z

·
Registered
625 Posts
If only replacing the front apron and even the shock tower on a 65-66, what would be wrong with cutting out a "window" on each of the other locations like the factory "window" showing the front number, so these numbers can easily be read? Would not be cutting the old number off the scrap metal and welding it anywhere, just exposing the other numbers. If the rear aprons have been replaced, removing those numbers, bigger issues now.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My 65 had a rewelded VIN in the front inner fender. it also had a neatly cut slot on the opposing sde of tye car revealing the untouched passenger side hidden VIN

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I mistakenly called the area with the VIN the shock tower. From what I read here it is called "apron". The after market parts obviously dont have any stamping. So to be legal you just keep the old piece with the vin? Thanks for the replies. Yes 67 390.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Those of us that look at it from a restoration perspective will say weld the old VIN into the new aprons so it is undetectable. Those of us that look at it from a law enforcement perspective will say talk to your auto theft task force. Like any forum, if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
^^^^^^

Talk to someone in your own state DMV, and / or state auto theft authority. They can guide you thru the legal way to repair the car. And take plenty of photos that document the way the car is now that show the existing VIN numbers. There are two hidden VINS on the fender aprons, one on each side, are those salvageable at all ? If so, I like the idea posted above of notching the fender to expose one of them.

Z

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
We cut it out on my 68 fastback, welded it back in, and smoothed it off so it is undetectable.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I know a guy....cough,cough That has done a couple ,size for sized the vin section ,seam weld it,grind it, reweld any voids/pits,grind smooth= undetectable . Unfortunately these cars rotted out and received accident damage over the past 50 years. In my opinion if it is done as a part replacement and not to defraud. It's Restoration. But you know what they say as said ask 100 different people.........

I wouldn't consult any DMV on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts