Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're running, or have seen someone who is, Vintage Wheel Works Vintage 45s on a 69 Mustang, please let me know. I know they will fit in back but up front the upper ball joint has me a little concerned. Will the 16" diameter simply clear over the ball joint? The car is stock though I plan to lower the upper A-arms.

These come in one size right now, 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing. Their site says it will fit without modification with up to P225/50R16 (front) and P255/50R16 (rear) but I'd like to hear reports from the front lines of VMF!

I am also thinking about getting custom builts from AR, where they basically take TTII's and paint the spokes, leaving the rims polished. Then I would go 15x7" 4" b/s and 225R60/15 (front) and 15x8" 4.5" b/s and about 255R60/15 in back...

Do you think 7" or 8" would be better up front?
TIA

P.S. I have searched the forum extensively and not found any message where someone has done Vintage 45s on the front of a 69. On Jay's chart the entry for this setup is not in bold, indicating no one has reported to him with direct experience.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
jay's tire/wheel chart is at the top of the 1st page of posts

do a search..been discussed...

the balljoint isnt the only prob...the steering knuckle is close too....

my 15" front rims have 4" backspacing...I wouldnt go any further unless I had 18's

instead I plan down the road to mod the fenders at the top of the opening so the root of the flares are halfway up the underside of the ridge that is currently the widest point of the fenders...

if I pull that off, I'm confident I'll be able to run 275/50-15's on the front with 3.75" wheel backspace....I currently have 245/60-15's; 275's are about an inch wider

in the back I currently have 295/50-15's (backspacing unknown; about 4.5")

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I asked the same question prior to my purchase, expcept the wheels involved were the TT2's. I went with 17 x 7 up front with 4" bs. Wish I would have gone with the 8's, and a little wider tire. Oh well.

A lot of people are running 16 x 8 with the 4.5" bs, and have not had any problems. Just do it. It'll look sweet!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
8" should be a breeze on a 69.

16x8 4.5" backspace clears balljoints and steering arms just fine - I've got a set on my 65!

Check Vintage Wheel Works website for tire size recommendations, as I think you can go 245's on a 69. If you call them, talk to Rusty - he was very helpful.

Hey - did anybody else notice the announcement on VWW's website - they're going to offer 17" and 15" wheels, with custom offsets on the 17's - /forums/images/icons/cool.gif - hmmmmmm, may be time to upgrade! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Delta Bay Mustang has them listed on their website for $895/set....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob, I talked with Rusty there and he was very helpful (and he didn't tell me to do a search first/forums/images/icons/wink.gif). He mentioned they would be having a sale later this year so maybe those 17"ers are in your future! He also mentioned they can do powdercoating of the spokes so I may go to them to get the darker look I'm after....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Russ, I had seen that price. GT350Clone also pointed out that Delta Bay Mustang has them for 895.00 though w/out lugs or caps... BTW, I like the lowering job on your vert, similar to what I plan except for a little more rake back to front....

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You might want to double check with Delta Bay....the website pic is a little misleading. I think VWW produces the wheels complete with caps & lugs. The other caps they show are the "flat caps" for the racey look....../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts