Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we are starting to approach the tripple digit heat once again here in Texas I'm really thinking about installing some type of aftermarket A/C in the car. Vintage Air is right down the road from me so they are probably the most probable approach. Anyone got one of their kits in their car? I'd love some feedback.

John

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
We've been installing A/C for years and the Vintage Air always needs some "tweaking" to make it fit. The ones from Classic Air in Tampa have never needed anything done, but just bolt in! Al is even working on an in-dash system, so call him to see what's new!

·
Registered
935 Posts
We have had several 6-cylinder cars set up with AC by their sister company, Chisenhall Auto Air (right across the highway). They have a nice setup for the six that uses the original single-groove balancer. The compressor runs off the crankshaft and the alternator runs off the compressor. They use a smaller rotary style compressor that cools well, doesn't vibrate like the original styles and doesn't drag down the engine when it comes on. It is a hang-on style setup but looks pretty good.All new components and R134a.
Say, why are you putting AC on that hot rod six-banger anyway. Is this South Texas heat getting a bit warm for ya? Heck, it ain't even really summer yet!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished installing one of their units in my 1966 Convertible. I am totally inexperienced in the installation of this piece of equipment or anything like it. I chose Vintage Air because my local supplier also did all my body work and gave it a strong recommendation.

I work very slow and this part of my restoration almost stumped me. It took me forever to finish the job and it's one that cannot be done by one person alone you'll require some help. Perferably a person with very small hands and arms because the initial act of attachement to the Firewall is almost impossible to reach.

If you do go ahead with this product I urge you to follow the instructions to the letter in the exact order that they are given. Particularly when they tell you to hockup the control cables to the control levers while all things are on the workbench. The instructions are good at best and incomplete at worst and it's difficult to determine where. Their technical support is excellent and very accessabel. All in all I have to wait until I see if the dam thing works before I pass final judgement on the product.

Good Luck!

Dave Tostenson

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just curious.., but how much do you charge to have a system put in a '66 289 w/PS? I'd like to have this done one day...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts