Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...since there seems to be a pretty wide variation to the opinions of folks I've spoken to in my area, I thought I'd have your collective expertise weigh in on the subject here:
Is the 65-66 color "Vintage Burgundy" supposed to be a metallic, or non-metallic paint?

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Vintage Burgundy ( Ford color X ) was used on the entire Ford line all during the 60s until the metallic was removed in 1968 and later ,and the name changed to Royal Maroon.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW. Nice cars, guys. And it appears that I may be eating some crow in regard to my question! Ah well...its probably the first time I've ever been wrong. Ahem.
Off topic, since I've been drooling over your cars' pics, can someone tell me how I insert a pic of my car into my signature like you have? And please keep in mind you're explaining yourself to a completely IT-challenged individual! (I'm not even entirely sure what a URL is here, guys!) Thanks!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Vintage Burgundy was used up to 1967 in Mustangs. It has a very light metallic quality. Not a lot of metal in there. Royal Maroon is a non-metallic burgundy color used in 1968 and early 1969. It is not just Vintage Burgundy with the metallic removed. It is a much redder maroon. In fact, in direct sunlight it looks almost like a dark red.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My car was originally vintage burgundy and had a very slight metallic look to the finish in the interior before I repainted the car.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
And below is Royal Maroon. Depending upon the lighting, it can look anywhere from red to brown.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My vintage burgandy is a modern adaptation of the color with metalflakes and pearls in the base coat. In low light it almost looks black, and in bright daylight it looks, well vintage burgandy.
I think one of the new (last couple of years) Ford colors is vintage burgandy, and if it's not it's a darn nice looking color. You should look in to it. I think you'll like it ::

·
Registered
193 Posts
i will be getting my vintage burgundy vert back tomorrow, watch for an update with pics to see how it turned out

·
4,143 Posts
Hey neighbor I can not think of a better color to paint a Vintage Mustang. :: fd

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellll...having looked into it a bit more, and pouring over your responses, it appears that my re-painted car (from factory: poppy red) that I was told was Vintage Burgundy, is actually Royal Maroon! It never really mattered before I got into the metallic/non-metallic discussion a while back, and never having looked into it before (already knowing it was a non-stock color), I'd never questioned the validity of the stated color of the car, which is obviously non-metallic. The brownish tone of the dark red pretty much answers the question. Ah well. Thanks again, guys.
And I'd love to see that car sometime, FordDude! You're just around the corner!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts