Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let my brother drive the fastback yesterday morning. After appropriating petrol from out favorite fueling establishment, we were turning onto main road "Y" when I saw from the corner of my eye, an unfamiliar shape. "No sh*t," I say, "that's a classic Lamborghini."
"No sh*t."
"Hell yeah, he's turning this way. Slow up."

We dropped a gear into third and waited for the sleek Italian to catch up. A 1969 Espada S1, red, freshly restored and in immaculate condition. "That thing is f*cking gorgeous."

But the driver, you see, was a bit of a snob. He didn't want to make eye contact at all. Mid-sixties, gray temples, tan sport coat, a gentleman out for a jaunt in his bull. We pace the S1 in fourth for a minute or two at his five o'clock, right lane. He accelerates to duck a slow moving F-150 in his lane, then cusp an Elantra in the right. We stay with him.

I just wanted to throw the guy a thumbs up, "nice ride", one classic owner to another, y'know.

He wasn't having it.

He decides to punch it.

4.0L 60-degree V-12 fed by six-two barrel Webers suddenly tears the air. Sounded like a WWII fighter, heeling over in a dive. He effortlessly accelerates four lengths up, and lets off. "Damn, that sounds really good." I say. I turn over to my brother. "Get next to him, I wanna look at that thing."

He follows, dropping the Tremec back into third and opening the 4160's secondaries. Compared to the harmonic sting of the Lamorghini's twelve, the small-block Ford's note is rough, blue-collar, breathing through the Tri-Y's into the 2 1/2" collectors. We begin to catch up.

Right about the time we pull alongside, the Lambo pilot decides he's not going to be harrassed by some working man's ponycar. He too punches it again, and we're in pursuit.

Now I know the Lambo's good for at least 140 (155, as it turns out) and there's no way in hell we're gonna stay with him to 100. Aerodynamics of a barndoor with a parachute be damned - we went anyway. :p

40-90 pull, he started walking a car, no more. Any faster than that and we'd be looking at his glassed-out tail from buslengths. Came up to an intersection with a popular coffee establishment, he pulled off and dove in without so much as looking at us!

Cliffs: Vintage Lamborghini > vintage Mustang. Not a real run as he didn't line up but was fun as hell chasing a Lambo.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is pretty much the car

Mine

G

·
0 Posts
Ick! Your fastback has much better body lines! The Lambo looks like a '68 Torino in the front and a cobbled together Datsun in the rear. No thank you, blue collar or not, the Mustang is a nicer looking car.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I dunno, but I would have to say from a looks department a Mustang is way cooler than that Lamborghini. Looks like an AMC Javelin's uglier older sister.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1970-1979/1972-AMC-Javelin-red-fa-sy.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Id be way more satisfied if it was a Miura, that Espada is ungainly.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'll take a Mustang any day over that fugly thing.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
:thumbdown: Looks sorta like a sporty station wagon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are you sure that thing is still a Lamborghini? I would have thought they would have disowned that car by the looks of it ;)

I am with the other guy that that looks like a mix of a Torino and Datsun. It is no wonder that I have never seen one of those at a show or on the road.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Robert65FB said:
:thumbdown: Looks sorta like a sporty station wagon.
Yeah,it sure does.

I had a guy at a car show back in July trying to get me to trade my '71 for his Espada. Needless to say, I declined, it was just too fugly from the rear.

IIRC, it was Lambo's attempt at some sort of four seat family car....

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
A perfect example that just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it's good.

*gag* that thing is UGLY!

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
He has nothing to be snobby about... of all the Lambo's out there, that one's the cheapest BY far. Your fastback could be worth more depending on what year the Espada was.

-bob

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Espadas don't count. They are so ugly. Besides, most muscle cars will smoke the crap out that espada fron 0-80 where it really counts.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Great story, and my apologies to the masses - but I think that thing is gorgeous, too!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
During the late 80's these cars were regularly parted out to get the engines for their more valuable brothers and sisters. I even know of one Espada engine that was put into a 18" Donzi boat. MAN that thing sounded good!!! The boat AND engine are currently at the bottom of lake Lanier in Georgia.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
dustyrelics said:
Espada engine that was put into a 18" Donzi boat.
Being an 18" (inch) boat, I can see why it sank--LOL!!! Even in an 18' (foot) boat, that is a lot of power.

I think the reason he wouldn't make eye contact at the end of the run was the driver was crying because of the maintenance bill he was facing after running the car so hard more than once...
Dave

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, tried to keep it civil :lol: But if his nose was any further in the air they could have used it to guide in ships of off Lake Erie.

It's a wierd looking car, but it sounded SO good. It's too bad, he he was friendlier I would have stopped off with him and bought him a cup'a joe for the run!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What a bunch of play-ah hate-ahs! Hand built pur sang 6-carb ohc V-12, four wheel discs, IRS, aluminum body, leather interior. There is no comparison between a Lambo, any Lambo, and our own one-of-three million assembly line extrusions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts