Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new format I haven't quite figured out how to find recent posts other then to BM them. I don't remember who it was that was asking questions on details of vintage wheels for his TA clone. While on FB recently someone had found a set of ARE wheels in the barn of their property. From the groups discussion on them it appears that they are magnesium and not aluminum. I took a screenshot to post on the VFM in case the OP looks

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Looks like "blue streaks" too. They would be a nice score if salvageable?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
do those magnesium rims have a steel lip on them or are they all magnesium? I have some unidentified vintage rims like in the picture, but have a steel rim. The center section appears to be magnesium...or at least I thougt it was....I could be wrong, sorry If I hijacked this post. I guess if I post a pic it might help....

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Are they magnesium or a magnesium alloy. It seems to me that 100% magnesium would be a fire hazard should someone sideswipe a curb hard.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Are they magnesium or a magnesium alloy. It seems to me that 100% magnesium would be a fire hazard should someone sideswipe a curb hard.
In the mid-20th century, cast racing wheels were literally made of magnesium. This is where the term "Mag Wheels" comes from. As you mentioned, if a tire caught fire, the magnesium could cook off and burn. (And when magnesium burns, it burns until it's completely consumed.) Street versions of Mag Wheels became popular, but they tended to leak air and weren't very practical. Later, magensium alloys made such wheels much safer. But these days, aluminum alloy wheels are far superior.

Strangely, when I was a kid, we had a Lawn Boy mower with a 2-stroke engine and a magnesium base. My grandfather had bought it in the 1960s and I can't imagine what he paid for it. That thing lasted for decades; no rust on that mower!

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
The early Beechraft V-tail Bonanza had magnesium skins on the ruddrervators. Due to corrosion problems the FAA issued a directive that they must be replaced with aluminum.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Ok here is what I got...2 ARE wheels in aluminum, 2 fenton hustlers in aluminum, and 2 Fenton III’s in aluminum-all are 5 on 4.5. I also have a set of 4 unknown brand that have steel rim and Chevy pattern of 5 on 4.75. They are the real dirty ones covered in leaves....tell me what you guys know!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
I have 2 different sets of those wheels with the aluminum spokes and steel rim. All are 14x6, 5x4.5. None of them are marked with a brand name and I have always assumed they were Ansen, Keystone, Fenton or some other. Those wheels were extremely popular in the 60's and 70's and every wheel company sold them.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Fentons and ARE are marked. The others I have no clue. I was hopping others may know. They are GM bolt pattern so no use for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts