Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the chat there was a very interesting conversation piece going on, Is the VMF Deteriorating? From what this person said the vmf started to deteriorate in march and april? I do admit there are alot of inline 6 - 8 questions and stroking 351 clevelands and a couple of toploaders a night posts and body shop posts nonstop but I DO think the VMF is going strong and will be going strong for a long time! I will do everything to help keep the vmf going strong and i do think many of you have the same opinion about the vmf bob has done a great job starting this site and supporting it and we all need to start donating more! now the question is what do guys think ? is it deteriorating?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I wouldn't say that. I would say there may be some slow times, but most people continue to visit reguarly. Just when some restorations are completed, they don't have as many questions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think it's deteriorating...

Maybe just a bit of a lull, if anything, right now. Keep in mind, it's the dead middle of summer. It's hot. People take vacation. People go and DO STUFF.

Another thing to remember, unlike most online entities, the majority of VMFers are not tech-savvy internet geeks who spend 25 hours a day online (like I do.). They are "normal" people, who just use VMF as another piece of information, or a quick way to catch up with what's going on in the community we have here. More of their time is spent working on the stang, or in the yard, or with the kids, or at work, etc etc etc. I would even venture to say that the classic car crowd, for the most part, is made up of people who were young when classic cars were young as well (stay with me here, I'm not slamming anyone.) Back in the 60s, computers weren't accessible like they are now. Import crowds ALWAYS congregate online (been a part of that as well.), but that's today's time. Youth are internet driven. Older folk are not.

Basically, I'd say that VMF is used as a tool, and not as a way of life, for most people. While some do view it as a club (myself included), its not one where regular meetings are necessary. When you have time, you can catch up at your own pace.

Just my thoughts. VMF is fine.

-M

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with David. Projects run their cycles. Also, remember it is summer an lots of folks have their cars running and are out playing with them. Things should pick up again this Fall.
I for one have found no lack of good reading on this forum since April.
My $.02

JB

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Deteriorating probably isnt the correct word... more like the other guys said.... it is slowing down, and becoming a little less interesting since so many people do not spend as much time as they did on here... as they did during the winter months. I read a lot of other 'fast paced' forums where posts are buried after a matter of hours, and here things are more slow, deliberate, and generally 'on topic'. I think the VMF is an intelligent, mature, place to discuss mustangs where people are knowledgeable and willing to help you out. In previous times I would read 15-20 posts a day, and now it seems I read maybe two or three.... Bob has done a fantastic job, and the people here are great. Best vintage mustang site on the web, no doubt about that! Summer lull, that sounds about right.

·
Registered
680 Posts
At the rate of 200 posts a day, I don't think there is any difference in the Forum....

·
Registered
378 Posts
This all started in the chat when ang67must was complaining about how bad the board has gotten and that now many of the posts are getting "lame". I fully DISAGREE. Yes there are some things repeated etc but they are like that on all boards and I really dont mind that much (its kinda a side effect of topics not going to the top... i like our system better so its all worth it). I think the board is going as strong if not stronger then ever. Boards like this have phases... when a lot of people are busy working on there car more posts... when less are busy less posts. I think Bob is doing a great job running the forum and I dont think I would change a thing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remember there is that little pay pal sign on the bottom go on CLICK IT and donate some money help bob out!! keep the VMF strong

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Mark are you aware that there was about as many 6 cylinder mustangs made as V8's. As for clevelands,well they rule. What's wrong with a cleveland or a top loader?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There seems to be a steady stream of "newbies"; many if not most old members still post; most messages are on topic; questions and answers seem vigorous; etc. The VMF is alive and well. Most likely this is business as usual and some members may have changed themselves, or may be getting ready to just move on.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
"there are alot of inline 6 - 8 questions and stroking 351 clevelands and a couple of toploaders a night posts and body shop posts"

Wow!! Sounds like some kinda forum. Well duh! That's what it's about ya know.

VMF is alive and well.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
1. It's summertime..
2. Compared to some other car forums, VMF is vigorous. I log on to a Mercedes site to get answers and sometimes they go all day without a single post.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't think that Vmf is going anywhere. I use it everyday. If it wasn't for all the people on this site and all the words of encouragement, I really beleive that alot of our progects would be rusting and collecting dust. I support the site finacially and by telling all my freinds!

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Decorating? I guess it could use some holiday based themes. Oh wait... Deteriorating? That topic usually comes up when the forum is flooded with off topic stuff but that hasn't been the case lately. Perhaps it needs a little more O/T stuff to capture the balance that's desirable to all.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I think the forum is fine. I really like seeing all the new "newbie" and "tire kicker" folks. So what if the same questions get asked over and over. It's not new to the poster, it's a ligit problem for them. I've been coming to this site for the last 4 years, I would still be building my car, looking for parts, if it wasn't for this site. Now that it's done though I still really enjoy coming in here and trying to help someone else. Of course there is also more to learn here too. Ang67must otta keep the doom and gloom to him/her self.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I joined a few months back and if is this gets better in the winter, woo hoo! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I don't see any evidence of deterioration. Folks post questions, advice, opinions, a large amount of encouragement, and share in successes and failures. This is all done without making posters feel dumb for posting something that has been repeated over and over.

If you're into Mustangs, VMF is one of the best things going on or off line.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have seen this topic come up before, I know I for one don`t know everything about Mustangs, so something that might have come up previously is new to me.
others are right about the cyclical thing, I have other hobbies that are being neglected while I pursue this one. In a year or so, i will probably return to one of those, and not spend as much time here.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Solution is very simple!
If the VMF doesn't fill your needs anymore, maybe there is a forum/site/chatroom that does.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't think it is deteriorating. There are always going to be users coming and going, newbies re-asking questions, etc... BUT, when you need some opinions or advise on a project, this is the best place to come. Let's face it, the local parts store or neighborhood garage rarely has someone that can help you with your questions. And I know I for one, love passing on the things I've learned about these cars over the years.

Long live the VMF. Thanks Bob!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts