Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Values are all over the place.

Has anyone bought or sold a vintage Mustang this year?

If so, did you pay or receive a significant amount more than you would have a year or two ago?

Surfing my usual haunts, I see crazy asking prices for anything pre-1975.

I pay $100 a month to store one of my Mustangs, the other I keep in the garage at home.

I have considered selling the 67, but it seems to be increasing in value more than the $1200 a year that I am paying for storage.

Additionally, I think that if I sell one of them, I will not be able to ever afford another one.

It's good to have a spare.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,003 Posts
I have bought and sold this year. I sold my Silver Blue 66 coupe for 23k this May. I had purchased it last year for 19.5K. I still took loss on it because I stupidly poured $ in it fixing the PO's BS. But I was floored to get back what I did. The car was by no means perfect but a good quality driver.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I picked up "Red" my current 66 C code coupe for 17.7K in April from the original owner. Which in hind sight was a steal. I have no doubt I could get 20k plus for it now. I'll I've done is put carpet, seat covers and wheels on it. Engine, brakes, and suspension, were all done before me.

These are just basic C code coupes. Verts and Fastbacks are a whole other world obviously. It seams that like home prices, the market is increasing monthly. I have no idea how long it will stay like this, but I don't think they are coming down any time soon. One things for sure - you would do EXTREEMILY well selling now. But like buying a new home, you're going to have to pay through the nose for another one. Its kind of a catch 22.

·
Dimples
6,187 Posts
I bought a 64.5 coupe basket case in January for $1,000. Rust free except for some ugly spots on the roof (vinyl top car) and probably the cowl, but at that price I didn’t care. Not sure how that would factor into current market conditions though.

I buy them to build them and make them my own, so current conditions for nicer cars don’t really affect my particular sickness.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It's kind of been making me think if someone in the "more money than brains" club came along I might sell. At this point I have way more into it than its worth, but who knows. Everything has a price, but then what would I drive? I got lucky with mine, solid sheet metal. All I had to do was replace the easy stuff.

By the way @AZ_Ryan that's a nice looking car(y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a 65 A-code convertible for $5k not a terribly long time ago. Needs a lot of steel work and the original engine is MIA with a seized 351w in its place. Complete car, just needs a ton of work.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,209 Posts
. It seams that like home prices, the market is increasing monthly. I have no idea how long it will stay like this, but I don't think they are coming down any time soon. But like buying a new home, you're going to have to pay through the nose for another one. Its kind of a catch 22.
So true, for a little while, I thought the 19k I paid for my car in 2018 was a little high...but after joining here and seeing the amazing rust repair work so many do here(that I can not) I felt good about my rust free car. But now, if I sold my car, I couldn't afford to buy what I sold and be happy.

I think if you want something different, sell away as long as you know what you are willing to pay. But if you're happy with what you have, I dont see an upside unless you find that secret barn find(they are, surprisingly enough, still out there..)

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Like @BlakeTX I bought a rolling jigsaw puzzle not long ago for $1000 with a rusty cowl and floor pan on one side, but at that price I am perfectly content just sitting on it and piddling until we can start on it in earnest later on, especially since it is a 289 auto AC PS Deluxe Interior car in the exact colors my son wanted for his first. It will likely never be for sale, but a small investment that could be seen as an asset.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have bought and sold this year. I sold my Silver Blue 66 coupe for 23k this May. I had purchased it last year for 19.5K. I still took loss on it because I stupidly poured $ in it fixing the PO's BS. But I was floored to get back what I did. The car was by no means perfect but a good quality driver.
View attachment 809867

I picked up "Red" my current 66 C code coupe for 17.7K in April from the original owner. Which in hind sight was a steal. I have no doubt I could get 20k plus for it now. I'll I've done is put carpet, seat covers and wheels on it. Engine, brakes, and suspension, were all done before me.

These are just basic C code coupes. Verts and Fastbacks are a whole other world obviously. It seams that like home prices, the market is increasing monthly. I have no idea how long it will stay like this, but I don't think they are coming down any time soon. One things for sure - you would do EXTREEMILY well selling now. But like buying a new home, you're going to have to pay through the nose for another one. Its kind of a catch 22.
WOW that color on your former 66. I'm dreaming that this is what mine is going to look like in 4-6 months. I have a 68' in this color that has a 35-40 year old paint, probably started out this color. Def not the Britanny Blue VIN. Very faded, quite chipped but still looks ok. Repaint next month :)

I just love how every one here says 'just a plain/basic C code coupe' only 18-23k. LOL that is a lot of money for a car we drive in nice weather...although I drove mine through used-to-be a hurricane rains last month....only the front windshield leaked, not bad considering it was practically a submarine for about 2 hrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up two in the last 18 months; a ‘66 T code coupe that is an absolute basket case that was abandoned through a front frame rail repair from the previous owner. It was FREE and comes with a clean title and all three VIN stampings on the inner panels. It’s definitely a project car for lack of a better word.
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

The other was a ‘68 California Special that was essentially restored (not concours) with very left to do other than drive. Ive seen other examples with many things needed like a full paint job (and more) go $32k, while another on “BaT.com” which had rust in the typical door locations and other shiny but poorly done paint on other panels with imperfections go for $35k. Mine was a steel at $38k, I will make money on this if I sell which I might. Who doesn’t want to own a GT/CS even for a little bit.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Saw a fellow today that offered 24k for my hardtop as-is. Not a chance.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I can't speak to finished cars(not my thing, I wouldn't buy a finished vintage car of any type) but I have noticed the type of project car I would buy has nearly doubled in price from a few years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are a few books out there concerning collector car value
I tried to get a loan years ago to get my Z-28 painted
I needed 5500 I had a banker buddy showed him a book
Used car price guide which showed him that the 5 year projection for my 69 boss was +75%
That still holds true today
A hemi cuda was only a few hundred thou a few years ago
Cant touch one for less than a million today

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are several FB pages to sell Mustangs. These late model guys are asking crazy money for Fox and New Edge cars. They seem to think a $3500 GT with 100,000 miles and 10k in parts makes a 30k car.

I wish it were that easy.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Mustang value...well that depends on ones definition of "value".
Usually the story goes...father has Mustang and finally gives it to son. My story is the opposite...son (somewhat adopted) has Mustang and gives it to father (Pops). My first car was 66 coupe and I always wanted another one. From a distance it was a pretty good looker. But as we all know the closer you get the more in-focus it becomes. Overall the car was in pretty good shape...some minor floor metal repair, small metal repair on LH rear qtr panel bottom and a section of PS outer rocker panel replaced. What really was a mess was the interior, 8 or 9 paint jobs to remove, complete wiring quagmire, and a replacement 302 that spun a cam bearing a month after I got it. Well...when the cam bearing went the little pony was telling me time to dig in. 1 1/2 years and $$$ later I'm real close to putting it all back together. Doing the body work and priming it, rebuilt the 302, new suspension all around, new disc brakes up front, completely gutted interior where I'll replace it with the Pony interior, all new wiring and upgraded instrumentation/lighting, and many other "minor" fixes. I'll have a pro put the final top coat of Arcadian Blue on, like my first car, and then enjoy it on the weekends!!
So...speaking to the value of a Mustang...again it depends on ones definition of value. Before pix and current pix below. :):)
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mustang value...well that depends on ones definition of "value".
Usually the story goes...father has Mustang and finally gives it to son. My story is the opposite...son (somewhat adopted) has Mustang and gives it to father (Pops). My first car was 66 coupe and I always wanted another one. From a distance it was a pretty good looker. But as we all know the closer you get the more in-focus it becomes. Overall the car was in pretty good shape...some minor floor metal repair, small metal repair on LH rear qtr panel bottom and a section of PS outer rocker panel replaced. What really was a mess was the interior, 8 or 9 paint jobs to remove, complete wiring quagmire, and a replacement 302 that spun a cam bearing a month after I got it. Well...when the cam bearing went the little pony was telling me time to dig in. 1 1/2 years and $$$ later I'm real close to putting it all back together. Doing the body work and priming it, rebuilt the 302, new suspension all around, new disc brakes up front, completely gutted interior where I'll replace it with the Pony interior, all new wiring and upgraded instrumentation/lighting, and many other "minor" fixes. I'll have a pro put the final top coat of Arcadian Blue on, like my first car, and then enjoy it on the weekends!!
So...speaking to the value of a Mustang...again it depends on ones definition of value. Before pix and current pix below. :):)
View attachment 810678 View attachment 810679 View attachment 810680
I would not insure it for less than 40 thou
Worth at least 20-25 by the time you have it back together

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are several FB pages to sell Mustangs. These late model guys are asking crazy money for Fox and New Edge cars. They seem to think a $3500 GT with 100,000 miles and 10k in parts makes a 30k car.

I wish it were that easy.
Foxbody mustangs are selling for very good money right now. My first mustang was a 91 GT back in the late 90's. The problem is, people think beat up ones are worth a lot of money. Those people are down right crazy!

This is my current 90 coupe.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts