Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to have my original radio modified so I could play an iPod through it. Acooljt told me that his Dad's business, United Radio Service could do that for me. Well I sent the AM-8 Track radio out of my '69 Mustang to him and he made the modification. He wired in a 6 foot cable that plugs into my iPod so I can put it in the glove compartment or run it under the console to the hinged compartment at the rear. The cool part is when you insert an 8 Track tape into the player the iPod comes on!. I just finished installing it, turned it on and IT WORKS GREAT! This is really a nice setup. You can keep your original radio and play your tunes from your iPod. And would you believe when I turned it on the first song that came on was Buddy Guy singing Mustang Sally. I kid you not. I want to thank Acooljt and his Dad Loydd. You made my day

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need to upgrade the internals as this was already a stereo (8-Track). The radio knobs still control balance, bass and treble. This is really a slick setup for guys who want to retain their stock radio. I love it.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
There's no need for RCA's either, it's soldered directly into the radio.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Aaron,
can this be done on a '66 AM/8-track as well?

I assume any MP3 player can be plugged in, correct?

Is the '66 AM/8-track stereo? Mine doesn't sound like it but then again the only 8-track I have is pretty beat up.

Can it be converted to a FM / MP3 player and still retain the 8-track part?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My Dad's an idiot and didn't take pics even though I told him several times to do it(I actually told him to take a video to show everyone how cool it worked). But it looks completely stock, just with a wire running out of the chassis of the radio to wherever you want.

Yes, a 66 AM/8-track can be converted. I'm not sure if it's already stereo. You wouldn't be able to tell if it was stereo or not unless you had right and left speakers, which I don't think the 66's did(unless it was an option or you added them yourself). And yes, anything that utilizes an 1/8" phone jack for headphones can be used.

Not sure if he can actually add stereo, I'll ask him tomorrow. I'm fairly sure he can not add FM though, but I will ask him about that as well.

And for those reading, it doesn't have to be an 8-track to be able to use an iPod, my Dad just had the idea since it happened to be an 8-track.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
GT66K said:
Is the '66 AM/8-track stereo? Mine doesn't sound like it but then again the only 8-track I have is pretty beat up.
Yepper, it is stereo (or, is supposed to be when working properly ;) )! Of the three radios available, AM, AM/FM, AM/8-track, ONLY the AM/8-track was stereo. BTW, the AM/8-track came with door mounted speaks. The other two used the single speaker in the dash.

Is the I-pod mode (ooooo, that rhymes!),available for a standard AM unit?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
OK, he is investigating adding FM to a non-FM radio, I will get back with you.

He can retain the 8-track, but there will have to be an external switch so that somehow your radio knows to switch from the AM or 8-track over to the iPod.

Yes, AM units can be converted as well, but this will also require an external switch so the radio knows when to switch over to the iPod. If you don't care about the AM, we can do it so it does not require an external switch.

If your radio is mono, it cannot be converted to stereo.

If I missed any, let me know.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cool! I believe you covered them all, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts