Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer head unit in my 67 fastback and a set of kick panel speakers in front. With the windows down and running down the road I don't get enough volume. Has anyone mounted any speakers in the fold down seat area without hacking up the car? I was thinking about getting some surface mount speakers and mounting them one a 3/4" board laid on the fold down area. A nice sounding pair goes for about $100. Now I see Custom Autosound (www.custom-autosound.com) is selling the 'bass ported soundbar' for vintage fastbacks for the same price. Has anyone listened to one yet? What are you using in your fastback?

Thanks,
Glenn

G

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I got a set of surface mounted speakers for the family '65. I do not like the sound. I got the 100.00 or 120.00 Pioneers. I'd recommend getting(or making) seperate boxes for 6x9s and mounting them someplace with L-brackets or something(it'd only require drilling a couple small holes just like the surface mount speakers). Granted this will cost more than the surface mounts, but, it is worth it. I can barely hear my surface mounts when I am cruising with the windows down.
Take It Easy,
Chris

G

·
0 Posts
I have a kenwood head unit in my 68 coupe and a pair of 5.25 kenwood 3-ways in the kickpanels and 6X9 in the package tray and it is more than loud enough. it all depends on the wattage of your head unit. even when i just had the 5.25s and a 25 watt max stereo it sounded ok. now with my 45 watt max stereo it sounds great, and the 6X9 just make it louder. so maybe you just need more power. but i would try the 6X9s in a box method like the last poster said.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I think you have the same Pioneer's that I was thinking about. Might not be the way to go. I will have to look into the wattage of my head unit and go from there.

Glenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts